Is it possible to have only one tuberous breast? (Photo)

I'm not sure if I even have this issue but I am wondering if it something that will need to be addressed with my PS. My right breast is the breast in question. If so, would I need any further surgery to correct the problem? I am having breast augmentation in March.

Tuberous

You have breast asymmetry rather than tuberous breasts with different volumes / shapes and skin excess. There will undoubtedly be some form of asymmetry after and the question will be whether to try and address some of these issues using different implants +/- areola lift as a one stage procedure.

Manchester Plastic Surgeon

Single tuberous breast

Hello, thanks for your question.  It is possible to have just one tuberous breast, and it is not uncommon for a surgeon to need to do a different procedure on each side to try to achieve a more symmetrical result.

Tuberous breast?

You do not have to breast breast. There is obvious asymmetry between the two breasts. Everywoman has a symmetric breasts. In your case the asymmetry is more obvious.  An improvement can be made with breast augmentation as well as minor areola lift for adjustment.  You should schedule a consultation with a board-certified plastic surgeon who is experienced in breast augmentation and lift 

Andrew Kaczynski, MD
Sacramento Plastic Surgeon

Breasts are sisters, not twins #plasticsurgery

You have mildly constricted breast anatomy on one side - obvious volume and shape differences can be partially addressed with careful implant selection and vast experience with cosmetic breast surgery.

Asymmetry

Thank you  for your question and photo. Yes, asymmetries are common, not just regarding size but shape as well.

I recommend that you book a consultation with a board certified Plastic Surgeon who can examine you and make recommendations to even things out for you.

All the best

Tuberous Breasts: information

Dear Ms. Sage46,

Thank you for your questions and photos.
I understand your feelings.

I don't believe you have a right tuberouus breast but rather than a moderate breast asymmetry. 

Tuberous breast is a clinical diagnosis that can present in a wide spectrum from minimal to significant.

The typical characteristics include:
1)enlarged and puffy nipple areola complex (NAC)
2)unusually wide spacing between the breasts
3)minimal breast tissue
4)sagging (ptosis)
5)higher than normal breast fold
6)a constricted narrow breast base on the chest wall
7)asymmetry of the breasts

There is a spectrum of presentation and the appearance of the breasts can include just a few to all of the above characteristics.

I believe you would have a very good result with differential sized implants and correction of your asymmetric inframammary folds.

I recommend that you make several consultative appointments with Plastic Surgeons who are experienced and Certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery. In addition ideally they are members of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (denoting by membership as having met additional criteria and a focus on Cosmetic Plastic Surgery).

I wish you my best and success,

R. A. Hardesty, MD, FACS
Diplomate and Certified by the Am. Bd. of Plastic Surgery
wwwimagineplasticsurgery.com
4646 Brockton Ave
Riverside, Ca 92506
(951) 686-7600

Is it possible to have only one tuberous breast?

Hello sage46,
Yes, it is possible to have only one tuberous breast.  While you don't fit the classical definition of a tuberous breast, you can see that one breast is round and well developed, while the other seems smaller, tighter, and has a band-like shadow on the lower inner aspect of the mound.
There is no need to correct this unless you are having breast augmentation or breast implant surgery.  It is a difficult problem to correct.  Luckily, you have a minor finding compared to most that I have to repair.  Because you have differences in inframammary fold height confirming mild-moderate lower pole constriction of your right breast, your surgeon will have to address this with fold reshaping and even a periareolar mastopexy to tighten loose tissue and reduce the size of your areola.  This may require a left sided areola reduction as well.  The reason I say this is that your areola make up a significant percentage of your visible breast skin.  Breast implants will stretch them out and create some amount of visual disproportion.
I recommend that you have a frank discussion with your plastic surgeon about these issues prior to surgery.
Good luck,
Dr. Shah

Manish H. Shah, MD, FACS
Denver Plastic Surgeon

Tuberous breasts one side?

Hello and thanks for your question. Normally, a tuberous has these characteristics:

1) Puffy or herniated areola.
2) Widely spaced breasts.
3) High breast fold.
4) Constricted lower pole or deficient tissue in lower part of the breast.
5) Minimal breast tissue.
6) Narrow base or small "footprint" of the breast.

I cannot see strong signs of a tuberous breast in your photos! Either way, breast implants and breast surgery can help to improve your situation. For more information on breast implants, see the link below:

Best wishes awlays, Dr. ALDO

Aldo Guerra, MD

Yes, it is indeed possible, and there are many different variants of tuberous or constricted breasts...some very mild and others more severe. Although some might say your right breast is not tuberous, it is definitely constricted in the lower pole with a large relatively low areola. In order to obtain reasonable symmetry, your right inframammary fold must be lowered to match the left fold level, and the constricted right lower pole and it's "old" fold or crease released so that the implant can fill and round out the right lower portion of the breast. Once that is accomplished, your right areola may appear close to the level of your left areola, and a periareolar lift will probably not be needed. I would assume your surgeon, during their examination, thoroughly discussed your asymmetries and what steps would be taken to deal with them, and the limitations and risks involved.

Tuberous breast?

It is possible to have a tuberous breast on one side, but it is not typical and is not your situation. You have asymmetry albeit a bit more than usual. No one's breasts are identical. Your nipples look pretty even and without having all your measurements, I would say that perhaps with a fold adjustment and different size implants you could have a nice result. The best person to ask is your Plastic Surgeon. Make sure you bring your concerns up with him/her.

Lori H. Saltz, MD