Scar tissue at BA incision site? (Photo)

I am 10 days post-op and recognize I'm early in the healing process. However, I'm concerned I'm developing a thick strip of scar tissue at the incision site which is preventing my implant from dropping into the pocket. How long do I wait before addressing things issue? My surgeon is out of town, and I need to be strategic about a visit.

Incision-related concern.

Thank you for your question and photo.

From the photo, it seems as though you are wearing a steri strip and if so, you may be experiencing an allergic reaction to its adhesive agents or the strips themselves, but I may be wrong. If it is allergic reaction, then you may require treatment with topical steroid creams (hydrocortisone).

You have to get this checked by your surgeon’s nurse team if the surgeon is out of town. They should have a way to provide ongoing care for patients who recently had surgery. Their instructions should take precedence over everything you read on here.

Also, due to the angle in the photo, I am confused as to whether the incision is in the armpit, or under the breast.

With regards to implants dropping, know that implants initially sit high up because the chest muscles and surrounding breast tissues have not become accustomed to the implant resulting in tightness. You have to allow gravity to take effect, and overtime, natural tissue expansion will allow the implants to fall into place causing your breasts to appear more natural, softer, and rounder. Once that happens, the implant will sit directly behind the breast tissue in a natural 45:55 breast ratio, and the nipples will move up higher. Scar tissue around the implant which we can capsular contracture may prevent the implant from dropping, but not superficial scar tissue at the incision. However, another possibility is that the scar tissue is deep and will reinforce the inframammary fold and make it harder for the implant to drop which explains your concerns. However, this is very unlikely. So your concerns are best answered after an in-person breast exam.

Please note that it is not uncommon for breasts to heal and adapt to implants at different rates.

You may have to wait 3-6 months for the final results. You are only 10 days into recovery, so there is a lot of time for the “drop and fluff.” If the breasts still appear different at that point in time, then you may share your concerns with your surgeon and they should be able to fix the problem.

With persistent inward and downward breast massaging, along with pole wraps, the breasts drop.

Patience is key!

Please continue to have regular follow-ups with your surgeon to make sure your breasts are healing beautifully. Their recovery instructions should take precedence over all else you read here as they are better informed about your surgical details.

Hope this helps.

Concerns over healing

should always be addressed with your surgeon, regardless of whether he/she is in town or not as someone should be covering for him/her.  If your breast is not changing in size, you do not have any concerning bleeding, even if you may have a bruise localized at the incision.  You should be asking your surgeon about what to do to help position your implants.

Curtis Wong, MD

Breast Augmentation and Bruising

Unfortunately your bruise is indicative of significant post operative bleeding around the implant, which puts you at higher risk for capsular contracture in the next few months. This has nothing to due with your incision being apparently too high, or preventing the implant from dropping, neither of which is likely. Best to be patient and follow up with your surgeon when he is back.

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS

Scar tissue at BA incision site?

Thank you for your question and congratulations on your surgery. As you mentioned, it's still early after your surgery. At 10 days, very little scar tissue has formed at all. All of the support of your incision comes from the sutures that are still in place. Your body begins to make scar tissue at 3-4 weeks. Your implants will settle dramatically in the coming 1-3 months. I would continue to be patient with the recovery process and stay in close contact with your surgeon.

Scar tissue at BA incision site?

It is a little early in the process for scar tissue to form to the point where you would be able to feel it.  There is , however, a fair amount of localized bruising in that area which may feel firm because it will associated with swelling.  I would not worry about being "strategic" with regard to seeing your surgeon.  You should be=ring up your concerns with the office.  I don't believe the stern strip is of any benefit at this point.  

Ralph R. Garramone, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Breast augmentation recovery

You are very early in the recovery process and it is difficult to ascertain the concern you are having without an examination.  You do seem to have some bruising and it may be time for the steri strip to be removed.  I would recommend communicating with your surgeon and sending him/her photos of your progress. Even if it is difficult to see him/her, it is important to communicate your concerns in any way you can.

Camille Cash, MD

Scar Concern

The scar tissue you refer to isn't clear in the photo. It is common for swelling and tight tissue to cause a slight indent at incision site. This will typically soften and relax over the first month and the drop & fluff process for implants will take between 2-6 months. I recommend that you let your Plastic Surgeon know about any concerning changes and advise you about what to expect as you heal.

All the best

Scar tissue at breast augmentation incision?

Thank you for your question.  When I look at your photo, I see 2 things.  First, there is a steri strip covering your incision, so it is impossible to say if there is any unusual scarring taking place (this would be extremely rare at only 10 days post-op).  Second, you have a significant amount of bruising in your left breast and possibly your right side.  

Breast implants will drop over the first month after your augmentation as the chest muscles relax and the internal tissue becomes accustomed to the implants.  The scar at your incision site will not prevent your implants from dropping.

That being said, you need to contact your surgeon or his/her office and at least explain what is happening.  If you have a blood collection inside your breast (called a hematoma), this could contribute to early scar capsule formation.  If your surgeon is out of town, at least go in and see the nurse.  They can get ahold of the surgeon and provide an update.

Overall, you should be just fine.  The bruising will resolve and your implants will look great.  Just be smart about it and make sure your surgeon is aware of things.  Best of luck!

Takes time

It takes time for the implants to drop. Ten days is very early.

Best to email this photo and more to your doctor.  It seems like a lot of bruising.

A check up or photo evaluation with your doctor is important.

Early

10 days is too early to be concerned about scarring.  You have a steri-strip covering the incision site as well making it impossible to see the scar. Your surgeon does however need to be made aware of the bruising.  Bruising after breast augmentation can vary from negligible to significant enough to warrant draining a collection of blood.  This is something that only an examination by the operating surgeon will determine.  Best of luck in your continued healing.