Juverderm of Restalyn? One syringe or 1/2 syringe? (photos)

It's my very first time getting lip injections! Im so excited but I want to make sure I make all the right choices. Is juvaderm or Restalyn a better choice? I'm 24, I am 109 pounds and have very small features, I have always hated how tiny my upper lip is! Is 1/2 a syringe safer the first time or a full syringe? I don't want it to be overly dramatic but defiantly noticeably different! Any advice would help thank you so much!

Juvederm or Restylane in the lips

Both fillers work well in the lips.  However, I prefer Juvederm for plumping (which is what I think is your goal) and Restylane for vermillion enhancement (generally used to decrease the little wrinkles that form around the mouth).  Juvederm is slightly more hydrophilic, which means that it attracts more water and gives a litter better plumping effect.  If you are only planning on injecting the upper lip, use just the 1/2 syringe.  A full syringe will be too much.  

Salt Lake City Facial Plastic Surgeon

Lip Augmentation

Thank you for your question. Restylane and Juvederm can both be efficacious for lip enhancement. I tend to prefer Restylane Silk or Juvederm depending on my patient's anatomy and desired shape and volume. I typically recommend starting conservatively and with one syringe but if you are more comfortable with a 1/2 of a syringe additional filler can always be added down the line for more volume.

Dr. Kathleen Morno

Kathleen Morno, MD
Highland Park Physician

Which filler is best for the lips and how much should be injected?

Thank you for sharing your question and photograph. Resylane and Juvederm give very similar results. Both are excellent at plumping up the lips. Restylane Silk is particularly good for rolling out the lips. Some patients choose a combination approach. A meticulous and conservative physician will always under-correct the lips on the first visit to be sure the patient has a natural result and add additional filler on a follow up visit. Make sure a very experienced doctor who has all types of fillers available in the office performs your treatment. 
Good luck,

Lip enhancement choices

I think the most important decision is the person who you choose to inject your lips. Let that lead to discussions to decide type of filler and how much. I use all HA fillers for lips, my preference is Restylane Silk. Make sure you go to someone with multiple before and after photos and you know people who have gone to them.

Steven F. Weiner, MD

Lip fillers

I prefer Juvederm in lips over Restylane. Since this is your first time and you don't want a dramatic fill, it is always best to start slow and build on that. I would start with half a syringe and then have you back in two weeks to see if you want to add more. 

Lenore Sikorski, MD
Orange County Dermatologist

Lip Augmentation with Fillers or Lip Implant or Fat

Start slow and build.  That is totally fine and will limit your swelling. I suggest you see an expert as small amounts of filler can give great contouring to a lip.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Juvederm or Restylane for Lip Augmentation

Thank you for your question and for sharing your photograph.  Sorry to hear that you are having some concerns about the appearance of your upper lip.  Based on your photograph, you appear to be an excellent candidate for lip augmentation.  My preference is to use Juvederm.  I would lean more towards using a whole syringe in your case.  Please be sure to see an experienced injector for an in-person consultation in order to fully address your concerns, discuss your goals and expectations, and determine the best course of action.  Best wishes!  

Juvederm of Restalyn? One syringe or 1/2 syringe?

Find an injector that you trust and go with their recommendation. In the hands of a good injector either filler can provide you the results that you're looking for. Look at the results of lip augmentation on my profile page and you'll see pleasing, natural-looking results with Juvederm, Restylane and Restylane Silk.

In my opinion you will want/need the entire syringe. I have injected 1/2 syringe for patients and set the remaining 1/2 syringe aside for them, and invariably they return the following week for the remainder to be injected.

Best wishes!  Harry V. Wright MD, Sarasota, Florida

Harry V. Wright, MD
Sarasota Facial Plastic Surgeon

Juvaderm

Juvaderm and Restylane are both HA products.  Juvaderm is better to inject, hurts less, lasts longer and looks better.