Juvederm water retention?

I got juvaderm almost exactly a year ago and it seemed to be almost completely gone around February. Around this time I became pregnant and I'm now at 32 weeks and the lumps where I used to have my injections are more apparent, is this a normal case of water retention? I don't want to pay for any further injections to fix this problem and was wondering if this problem does dissipate on its own.. I only find that you guys think getting them dissolved is the answer..

Juvederm one year later

Hello Ilimayo,

Juvederm can last up to a year give or take.  However, if you felt the product gone around February it should not have come back.  Any lumpiness would not be water retention from the Juvederm. You can talk with your injector or even a facial plastic surgeon to better evaluate what this is.  Given your pregnancy you would not be a candidate for any injections at this point but at least knowing what is going on could be helpful by visiting a specialist. 

I hope this helps and good luck. 

The Woodlands Facial Plastic Surgeon

Juvederm and Water Retention

Please speak to your dermatologist or plastic surgeon this needs a formal consultation to see the area.  If there is swelling this can be reduced with hyaluronidase and venus legacy treatments.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Juvederm and Duration of effect

Juvederm is a fabulous product for injecting the face and lasts approximately one year.  I helped author the paper comparing duration of product longevity of Juvederm versus Restylane and found it lasts 3 to 6 months longer than Restylane.  I am not sure why you would have "lumps" one year later.  You can not have injections while you are pregnant but I would return to your treating dermatologist to assess what is the cause of the new lumps.

Pregnant

Since you are pregnant, further injections for your face are not recommended right now. Most Juvederm is gone in about 12 months. Without photos, I cannot say what your lumps are, but is doubtful it is water retention.

Connie Hiers, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon