I'm 5'2, 127 lbs. I'm getting a lift & augmentation. My Dr is asking me to decide between high & ultra high implant?

Pick Neither

Hello,You give little information, but high and ultra high profile implants are ball shaped devices that do not wear well over time. Go visit a few ABPS certified/ASAPS member surgeons that specialize in cosmetic breast surgery. Best of luck!

My Dr is asking me to decide between high & ultra high implant?

Thank you for your very important question.  I think this is a good example of the unfairness of the surgeon asking the patient to choose an implant size or especially implant profile.  You simply do not have the experience or knowledge to make the judgment and I feel that this should be the surgeon's responsibility.  My suggestion is that you explain your size and contour goals to your surgeon and allow him/her to make the best choice in terms of volume and profile to match your ideal goal.  In my office we you sizers during the surgical procedure to test the effects of different volumes allowing me to attempt to achieve the closest match to the patient's goal possible.  We use either mid profile or mid-plus profile implants in the vast majority of our patient's for a natural look.
I hope that this is of some help.  Best wishes.
Jon A Perlman M.D., FACS
Diplomate, American Board of Plastic Surgery
Member, American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS)
ABC-TV Extreme Makeover Surgeon
Beverly Hills, California

Jon A. Perlman, MD

Implant profile in relation to Mastopexy augmentation procedures

the profile of an implant describes implant projection relative to base diameter and fill volume. The use of a high profile implant in a Mastopexy augmentation procedure in not all that important for an excellent cosmetic result. With these types of combination procedures, the fewer variables that exist, the better the outcomes, in my opinion.

You should not have to make that decision. The only reason I can think of for a surgeon to use an Ultra high profile implant is that the patient wants a larger size implant whose width would exceed their breast width in either a moderate or a high profile implant, and therefore a narrower ultra high profile implant is chosen. However, the trade off is that this may look more forward-projecting and less natural in shape. Regardless, I am not sure that asking a patient to decide on implant profile is the best course.

Ultrahigh vs high profile.

I would recommend selecting profile based on your desired volume and body dimensions.  Recommending profile without knowing these variable is frankly impossible.   I'm sure you've done sizing which can consist of in-office sizers, home sizers, and 3D imaging.   Once you have a comfortable size range, the profile should be chosen to match that volume to your body.   For example, if you want a 400 cc implant there is a large discrepancy in dimension betweem the two profiles with a Mentor high profile implant measuring 12.2 cm and an ultrahigh profile measuring 10.6 cm. Your plastic surgeon should have a good idea of which profile would match your frame better in height and width at your desired implant volume.    Best of luck.

York Jay Yates, MD
Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon

The choice of implant to meet a patient's goals depends on their goal look relative to their actual look ( so we sould need photos of you now and of the look you want) and also on a physical exam to determine the quality of the breast tissue and the anatomy of the chest wall and the breast. We have none of that info but your surgeon does. If you have given all that info to the surgeon and he cannot give you guidance to which specific implant will meet your goals, then you need to seek that information out with another surgeon. That is after all, the surgeon's job.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Decide between high & ultra high implant?

Thank you for the question. There are several steps taken to select a specific size/profile breast implant for a specific patient. These steps vary from one practice to another;  in our practice, after careful communication of goals and the use of temporary intraoperative sizes, I select the breast implant size/profile that will best achieve patient's goals.

To clarify: I prefer to have a wide selection of implants (all profiles) available in the operating room. I use intraoperative sizers and place the patient in the upright position to evaluate breast size. Use of these sizers also allow me to select the breast implant profile (low, moderate, moderate plus, high-profile) that would most likely achieve the patient's goals. The patient's goal pictures are hanging on the wall, and allow for direct comparison. I have found that this system is very helpful in improving the chances of achieving the patient's goals as consistently as possible.

Ultimately, careful communication of your goals (in my practice I prefer the use of goal pictures, direct examination/communication in front of a full-length mirror, in bra sizers, and computer imaging) as well as careful measurements (dimensional planning) will be critical.

Generally speaking, the best online advice I can give to ladies who are considering breast augmentation surgery ( regarding breast implant size/profile selection) is:

1. Concentrate on choosing your plastic surgeon carefully. Concentrate on appropriate training, certification, and the ability of the plastic surgeon to achieve the results you are looking for. Ask to see lots of examples of his/her work.

2. Have a full discussion and communication regarding your desired goals with your plastic surgeon. This communication will be critical in determining breast implant size/type/profile will most likely help achieve your goals.  In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. For example,  I have found that the use of words such as “natural” or "C or D cup” etc means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful. Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on him who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup size may also be inaccurate. Again, the use of computer imaging has been very helpful during the communication process, in our practice.

3. Once you feel you have communicated your goals clearly, allow your plastic surgeon to use his/her years of experience/judgment to choose the breast implant size/profile that will best meet your goals. Again, in my practice, this decision is usually made during surgery, after the use of temporary intraoperative sizers. I hope this (and the attached link/video, dedicated to breast augmentation surgery concerns) helps. Best wishes. 

Try on implant sizers

Your best bet when you are trying to decide on implants is to try on sizers of the exact implant you are considering inside a very tight sports bra. This will give you a close idea of what you will look like. More importantly the dimensions or width of the implants need to match and fit your frame and body. If you are working with a board certified plastic surgeon with an expertise in breast augmentation he or she should be able to help you with this in their office. Good luck! 

Dean Vistnes, M.D.
Vistnes Plastic Surgery
San Francisco Bay Area

#drdeanvistnes #breastaugmentation

M. Dean Vistnes, MD
Bay Area Plastic Surgeon