Have any Doctors heard of a surgeon doing a diastasis repair during umbilical hernia surgery through belly button? (Photo)

I am 3.5 weeks post umbilical hernia surgery. Initially, my doctor thought that my hernia was small and would only require sutures. (I also had some diastasis recti) My surgeon told me that it was big enough to require 2 inches of mesh. He also repaired my diastasis. (through my belly button?) I am still sore (apx 4 inches to the right & left of my belly button) after standing for too long. I think it's muscle soreness from the diastasis repair. Should I get a brace for my stomach? Thank you!!

No

It is not possible to perform a diasthsis repair though the small would used for an umbilical hernia repair.  The diathesis runs from the ribcage to the pubic hairline.

Diastasis repair

Thank you for your question and for the photos.

In most cases i don't think enough exposure can be obtained through the incisions in your second photo to allow adequate diastasis repair.  The diastasis typically extends from just under the breast bone to just above the pubic bone.  This it typically repaired along this entire length when a tummy tuck is performed.

You should check with the surgeon who performed the procedure and he or she is best able to comment on the details of hr procedure performed.

Good Luck.

Ralph R. Garramone, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Diastasis repair during umbilical hernia surgery through belly button?

Best to address your surgeon about the specifics of the procedure performed but I think that it would be unlikely that he/she was able to get enough exposure to  re approximate the abdominal wall muscles through an umbilical incision. Best wishes.

Have any Doctors heard of a surgeon doing a diastasis repair during umbilical hernia surgery through belly button?

Was your surgeon a general surgeon or a plastic surgeon? Although it is difficult to compare the two photos (the after is a closeup), I do not believe you had a diastesis repair of your muscle from the breast bone to the pubic bone as is done in an abdominoplasty. Your preop photo shows so much looseness, that your muscle fascia could've been repaired most likely without a mesh. He/she repaired your hernia and laid a mesh over it to reinforce it. This is a typical general surgical approach. You do not need a brace, the soreness is from suturing the mesh to the muscle fascia. Good luck with your healing.

Diastasis repair through umbilical incision

Thank you for asking about your tummy tuck.

• The standard diastasis repair is done via a tummy tuck incision.
  • Occassionally it is done endoscopically.
  • Your photos don't suggest a standard diastasis repair was done.
  • The muscle soreness is probably from the mesh around the hernia repair.
  • With persistent soreness, see your surgeon again to check that all is well.
  • To correct the stomach widening, wait at least six months from hernia surgery and then have a proper muscle repair.
Always consult a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Hope you find this information helpful. Best wishes.

Diastasis repair can be done through the navel but almost never done that way.

Most patients with a diastasis (usually after pregnancy) have repair of the diastasis as part of an abdominoplasty.