Am I a good candidate for lip lift surgery? I have always wanted a much fuller upper lip. (photos)

I have long, narrow, facial features so I am curious as to whether or not a lip lift is appropriate for me? I am 46 and have always desired full, pouty lips.

Lip Lift

Thank you for your question. Lip fillers would be an effective approach to providing you the full and pouty lips that you desire. I suggest that you move forward and consult with a board certified facial plastic surgeon. Many offices - including ours - offer imaging technology that identifies how a patient will look with certain surgical and/or non-surgical changes.

Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon

Lip Lift Candidate?

I couldn't agree more with the surgeons' answers below.  As president of the practice that has written most of the book chapter on mouth rejvenation for the past 20 years, and having just given a lecture on the topic at the most recent ASPS meeting, a lip lift with your anatomy is a really bad idea.  People with "long, narrow" faces often show a bit of upper teeth gum when smiling (so called "gummy smile) as you do.  Shortening the lip will exacerbate that look, and not in a good way.  

Far, far better to fill your already attractive lip vermilion (pink lip) with anything soft as listed below (juvederm, restylane, or the new Volbella which works very nicely and last a bit longer).

Hope this helps!

Rob Sigal, MD

Robert K. Sigal, MD
Reston Plastic Surgeon

Lip lift option

Dear MarieSfab, rather than a lip lift you would be best advised to achieve fuller lips by the straightforward procedure of lip augmentation with HA fillers, fat injections, or lip implants. My patients are enthusiastic about the results achievable with the first option using such agents as Juvederm XC, Restylane, or Belotero. Results are usually long lasting, well over 1 year, and easily repeated when needed. 

Harrison C. Putman III, MD
Peoria Facial Plastic Surgeon

Am I a good candidate for lip lift surgery? I have always wanted a much fuller upper lip.

Hello MarieSfab - Thanks for your question. Unfortunately, you are not a candidate for lip lifting surgery because you show alot of your upper teeth when smiling. This means that you don't have excess upper lip vertical length that needs to be reduced. Instead, you would benefit from lip augmentation to increase the volume of your lips to give them the fullness you seek. Lip augmentation can be performed using injectible filler, fat injection, or lip implants. I would recommend that you consult with an expert injector in your area for more information. 

Good luck, 

Dr. Shah

Manish H. Shah, MD, FACS
Denver Plastic Surgeon