How Many Body Parts Are "Lifted" During a Body Lift Procedure?

For someone who has lost a lot of weight and has sagging skin, what are the typical areas that are lifted during a body lift?

Body Lift Procedures

It's not unusual for massive weight loss patients to develop loose saggy skin requiring body lift surgery. A variety of body lift procedures are available to treat these problems. These include procedures designed to address both the upper and lower bodies.

The classic lower body lift circumferentially removes excess skin and fat from the lower abdomen and back. This procedure tightens the abdominal muscles and simultaneously lifts the mons pubis, lateral thighs and buttocks in an upward direction.

Upper body lift procedures include breast lift, brachioplasty and bra line back lift procedures. All of these procedures are associated with excellent clinical results and high levels of patient satisfaction.

If you're interested in body lift surgery, it's appropriate to consult a board certified plastic surgeon with experience in this area. This surgeon should be able to formulate a treatment plan that addresses your anatomic deformities and achieves your aesthetic goals.

Definition of Body Lift

That is a great question, because I think this is a source of confusion for many patients.  When most people talk about a body lift they are referring to a Lower Body Lift.  A Lower Body Lift goes by other names including: circumferential abdominoplasty, belt lipectomy and circumferential body lift.  Essentially, a Lower Body lift includes:
1. Tummy tuck (also called and Abdominoplasty)
2. Buttocks Lift (with or without Buttocks Augmentation)
3. Lateral Thigh Lift

In addition, the posterior (back) part of the procedure can be tailored to the individual's needs depending on whether he or she is more interested in a buttocks lift or removal of back rolls.  A Lower Body Lift typically takes 4 to 6.5 hours and requires an overnight stay.  This is usually the first body contouring procedure that a person undergoes after massive weight loss.  

There are also other procedures that would be considered components of an Upper Body Lift.  These include:
1. Breast Lift (Mastopexy)
2. Arm Lift (Brachioplasty)
3. Removal of Upper Back Rolls

It usually takes two surgeries in order to perform all of these procedures.  Ultimately, it is up to the patient and his or her Plastic Surgeon to determine which procedures can be safely combined at each operation.  That being said, most patients opt to have the Lower Body Lift at the first operation and then then some or all of the components of the Upper Body Lift at a later date.

Laurence Weider, MD

HOW MANY PARTS LIFTED WITH BODY LIFT

Congratulations on your weight loss!  For massive weight loss patients like you I typically recommend a lower body lift or belt lipectomy.  The lower body lift includes a tummy tuck, a thigh lift, and a buttock lift.  During a body lift, the tummy tuck incision is extended around the hip area allowing the extra tissue and fat to be removed from the “belt” area.  Liposuction of the flanks or knees could also be performed during the belt lipectomy to provide additional contouring.  If you wish to address the upper body, a breast lift or mastopexy can be done with an arm lift or brachioplasty.  In addition, the back area could also be liposuctioned to help remove any stubborn fat around the bra strap area.  Before you schedule a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon make sure you are at a stable weight for at least 3 months.  Significant weight loss after a body lift can create more sagging skin and additional procedures could become necessary later.  Once your weight is stable, schedule a consultation and thorough physical exam with your board certified plastic surgeon to make sure you are a candidate for a body lift.  Be sure to research for board certified plastic surgeons who have experience working with massive weight loss patients and review their before and after photo galleries.

Be well and good luck!

@norrisplastic

Lower body lift

This procedure is essentially 3 procedures in one: extended tummy tuck + waist/lateral thigh lift + buttock lift.  The buttock lift can also include buttock augmentation.  The lateral thigh lift will help contour the lateral aspect of your thighs.  The procedure can taken between 5-7 hours depending on the amount of tissue/skin that needs removal/treatment.  Please see a board certified plastic surgeon to learn more about your options.

Dr. Sugene Kim

Body Lift Procedures explained

Body Lift Types

There are two main types of body lifts: upper and lower. The upper body lift typically includes procedures involving the arms, breasts, and face, while the lower body lift deals with the abdomen, thighs, and buttocks. These procedures can be, but are not limited to, an abdominoplasty, a belt lipectomy/circumferential body lift, a mastopexy (breast lift), and a brachioplasty (arm lift).

Procedures involved in a body lift

A body lift can truly change your lift. Excess abdominal fat  and skin is removed, the abdomen and your core is tightened, your saddlebags on your hips are raised and your buttock has new definition and shape.  The combination is powerful and the results are immediate. 

What is a body lift?

Great question. I've seen the terms body lift, lower body lift, belt lipectomy, circumferential body lift... Usually, for my patients who have lost a significant amount of weight, my first line of attack is a circumferential body lift = belt lipectomy = lower body lift. This procedure is 3 procedures all in one:

1. tummy tuck

2. waist/lateral thigh lift

3. buttock lift +/- buttock augmentation

This procedure requires 4.5-6.5 hrs of surgery and requires an overnight stay in my practice.

Dr. Basu

Depends on if you need "upper body lift" or "lower body lift"

In my practice a lower body lift includes the buttock with auto-augmentation using the patients tissues, lateral thigh lift, a mons lift and an abdominoplasty.  In an upper body lift procedure typically included: the breasts, the underarm area and arms. Rarely a patient will require a lifting procedure in the upper back as well.

Body Lifting

An experienced plastic surgeon will give you an idea of what you are a good candidate for after he/she examines you.  Usually, a "body lift" is for patients who have had significant weight loss and loose skin and tissue remain.   Some of the procedures that can be performed are Tummy tuck surgery (for the excess skin around the abdominal area), arm lifting, thigh lifting, breast lifting, extended tummy tuck (that goes into the back area to take care of loose, saggy skin in the back area as well as the tummy), and more.  Safety should be your first concern when having surgery. Make sure your surgeon is board certified and performs the procedures in a safe setting.

What body parts are lifted with a body lift.

every person is different. the usual spots are arms, tummy, thighs, buttocks, breasts, neck.

a lower body lift, lifts, the buttocks, outer thighs, and either tightens the tummy or the inner thighs. I try to stage things together to save money for the patient and also to save recovery down time from work. the hospital front loads charges, so that longer procedures costs less per hour. I also team with assistant plastic surgeons to help get multiple procedures done on the same day and keep hours shorter in the operating room.

Rick Rosen, MD
Norwalk Plastic Surgeon