Vaginoplasty and an umbilical hernia repair in one go? Difficulty finding a doctor in South Florida who can do both. (Photo)

I'd love to be able to kill two birds with one stone. I had a TT in 2012 and while my stomach is lovely I have a slight hernia in my belly button from 4 pregnancies. My original doctor said I needed to find a general surgeon to fix it. I'd love to find a doctor to correct posterior vaginal muscle loosening at the same time. It seems I can find one and not the other! Help please? :)
Click here to search for board certified surgeons in your area.

You'll probably need to coordinate two surgeons for this combo

Hernia surgeons don't usually perform vaginoplasty and vaginoplasty surgeons don't usually fix hernias. You might have an easier time simply scheduling the vaginoplasty a few days after your hernia repair especially if you using your disability insurance to recover from the hernia.

Combining surgeries

These two procedures can be done at the same time by the same surgeon.  Try searching for a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon who is also Board Certified in general surgery.  Generally speaking, the umbilical hernia is repaired during the tummy tuck, so I'm not sure why yours wasn't done at that time.

Camille Cash, MD

Two birds, one stone

This can be done at the same time by the same surgeon. The umbilical hernia is often repaired at the same time as the TT, but it can still be fixed. Most of the bellybutton scar will need to be re-opened, but it's not a problem. I would use permanent sutures to repair the hole... no mesh or scars elsewhere. The vaginoplasty can also be performed at the same time by removing excess vaginal wall and tightening the muscles. 

Vaginoplasty and Other procedures at same time

Yes a repair of an umbilical hernia can be done at the same setting as a vaginoplasty procedure. Look on the "find a doctor tab" of the American Soc of Plastic Surgeons or American Soc of Aesthetic Plastic Surgeon's web site to find a doctor that can do both.

Vaginal Rejuvenation and unbilical hernia repair

Absolutely, you should have both procedures performed at the same time. Why wasn't your hernia fixed at the same time as your abdominoplasty?? And more importantly, why wasn't your vaginoplasty done at the same time?!After 4 pregnancies, specially if they were all vaginal, you should search for an expert in Reconstructive and Cosmetic vaginal surgery, preferably a Board Certified Urogynecologist. That surgeon would make a simple phone call to a surgeon to repair the hernia at the same time as your vaginal repair. Most women I see for vaginoplasty consultation have vaginal prolapse or urinary incontinence which are medical conditions covered by insurance. All of these factors need to be taken into consideration.Please see below link for advice in choosing a surgeon with the best qualifications.

Oscar A. Aguirre, MD
Denver Urogynecologist

Hernia repair at the time of vaginal surgery

It is common to combine a hernia repair with another procedure such as vaginoplasty. Each procedure should be done by the appropriate specialist. for the hernia repair, this would be a general surgeon, but should be able to be done at the same time as vaginoplasty.