Is it true that capsular contracture occurs in women with little breast tissue?

I'm getting a breast augmentation in 10 days and since it's so close I'm getting nervous especially since this is my first surgery. I don't remember where, but I read that capsular contracture occurs in women that don't have a lot of breast tissue. I just want to know if this is true. I have a lot of breast tissue because I'm around a C/D cup. I just don't want this to happen to me. Thank you!

10 days post op, some advices:

Thanks for the question.

In my practice, after performing a BA I recommend to my patients to limit the movement of the arms for two weeks. After that, you can move your arms taking care and always with common sense. 
In this regard, it's not advisable to carry heavy weights to prevent the implant out of position, and allow the formation of the physiological capsule around the implant, also to avoid pain and breast swelling. 

Kind regards

Is capsular contracture more common in women with little breast tissue?

I am unaware of any proven association between the amount of breast tissue present and capsular contracture. However, there are several aspects of a breast augmentation procedure which can help minimize capsular contracture such as: placing the incisions along the lower breast fold, utilizing a submuscular pocket, placing tegaderm sheeting over the nipples after the surgical prep, placing the implants utilizing the "no touch" technique with the Keller funnel (to minimize the presence of bacteria or biofilm formation on the implant itself), irrigating the implant pockets with an appropriate antibiotic solution and in my opinion early post operative breast implant movement exercises. Best of luck!

Capsular contracture

Thank you for your question! To my knowledge there is no association between amount of breast tissue and capsular contracture. No one really knows exactly why capsular contracture occurs but there are some theories. One of the most accepted theories has to do with possible bacteria that make their way into the breast implant pocket. There are many things that are done to decrease the bacterial count and the risk of contamination. Some of these things can include giving the patient antibiotics and washing the implant and the breast implant pocket with antibiotic wash. There are certain things that have been shown to decrease the risk of contracture including but not limited to placing the implants under the muscle, using textured implants, meticulous hemostasis and the washes I spoke of earlier. Each of these has their own pros and cons and would be best to discuss these with you plastic surgeon. Hopefully you are being treated by a board certified plastic surgeon! Good luck!

Ankur Mehta MD

Ankur Mehta, MD
Sugar Land Plastic Surgeon

Capsular contracture associated with lack of breast tissue?

I have never found an association between amount of breast tissue and capsular contracture. Basing your decisions on evidence-based research is highly important. If I were you, I would ask your surgeon what he/she thinks about this finding of yours.

The literature review by Dr. Chong & Dr. Deva titled Understanding the Etiology and Prevention of Capsular Contracture, clearly outlines what can increase and decrease the chances of capsular contracture and all things are ultimately related to implant contamination.

Initiators:

• Bacterial Infection
  • Periareolar incision (natural bacteria of the breast can contaminate the implant during insertion)
  • Subglandular pocket (same reason as above)
  • Prolonged exposure of the implant to the surrounding surgical environment (lack of sterility in the surgical environment can cause contamination of the implant)
  • Hematoma (blood can increase inflammation and speed up fibrous capsule formation)
  • Use of drains (increase risk of infections by 5 folds, and thereby increase risk of CC)

Suppressors:

• Avoiding large implants (large implants can easily be contaminated)
  • Textured implants with submammary pocket (Textured implants may not help in the submuscular pocket)
  • Submuscular pocket (the implant is not exposed to breast’s natural bacterial flora)
  • IV antibiotics
  • Washing the implant pocket with antibacterial solution
  • Using insertion sleeves (i.e., Keller Funnel) for the implants (reduces contact with bacteria)

These are the only things research has shown to influence the risk of capsular contracture.

Please consult with a board certified plastic surgeon and clearly communicate your goals, desires, fears, concerns about proceeding with a breast augmentation surgery.

Hope this helps.

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Capsule contracture risk

Thank you for your question.  I am not aware of relationship between breast volume and capsular contracture rates.  The underlying cause of capsule contracture is unclear, but a low grade bacterial infection is the most commonly cited reason.  Because of this, your surgeon will usually wash the implants and breast pocket with an antibiotic solution and prescribe antibiotics around the time of surgery.  We do know that placing the implants under the muscle will decrease contracture rate.  Also, avoiding a peri-areolar incision and use of textured implants tend to decrease the encapsulation rate.  Good luck.  

Matthew H. Steele, MD
Sioux City Plastic Surgeon