How do I sleep after a TT and fat transfer?

Tummy tuck and BBL recovery

Great question.  The best answer is to follow your plastic surgeons instructions.  In general, your tummy tuck needs more attention than the BBL so sleeping in a bed with pillows under your knees and back or in a recliner will be ideal.  As long as you have plenty of padding under your buttocks and you're getting up every hour or so to use the bathroom, the blood supply/pressure to the buttocks area should be fine.  I have had many patients that have had the combination of the procedures together and both the tummy tuck and BBL have done great with the above guidance.

Good luck with your recovery.

Dr. Remus Repta

Multiple Procedures

Thank you for your question.  It is always best to discuss any questions related to your post operative instructions with your operating surgeon as every surgeon has their own set of unique instructions.  That being said, in our practice, we advise patients to sleep in what is known as the jack knife position.  This is a position in which the head of the patient is raised 45 to 90 degrees, with the knees being elevated as well.  You can accomplish this position by using pillows behind the patient’s back and head, and again using pillows under the

knees.  It is important to reduce as much pressure as possible from the buttocks.  

With kind regards,

Lane F. Smith, M.D., F.A.A.C.S., F.A.O.H.N.S., F.A.B.F.P.R.S. 

Lane Smith, MD

Post Op Sleep Positioning

Your Plastic Surgeon can advise you about this as each surgeon has their own preferred protocols and they will know your situation the best. Assuming that your fat transfer was to the buttocks, you will need to alleviate pressure on this area and reposition often.

All the best

You will need to discuss this with your plastic surgeon, if they are comfortable performing the two procedures together then they will have a precise aftercare plan for you to follow for optimal results. I generally stage these procedures simply because you will have to refrain from sitting on your buttocks for at least 3 weeks after a BBL which means you would need to sleep on your stomach, which may not be optimal when just having a tummy tuck. This reduces complications and provides for a more comfortable post-operative recovery. Best of luck in your endeavors!
James Fernau, MD, FACS
Board Certified ENT
Board Certified Plastic Surgery
Member of ASPS, ASAPS, ISAPS, The Rhinoplasty Society, AAFPRS, OTO/HNS, ASLMS, International Federation for Adipose Therapeutics & Science

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck/Abdominoplasty/Liposuction/Vaser High Definition Procedures/Tummy Tuck Revision

I appreciate your question.

I would recommend that you discuss this question with your surgeon as every surgeon has their own respective post op protocol for his/her patients.  Your surgeon is your best resource as he/she is most familiar with your medical history and how you will be healing following surgery.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.

Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

Every Doctor has his/her own post-operative instruction plan, that is usually discussed in detail prior to the surgical procedure. If there any questions- that is the time to address them.

Depending upon where the fat was placed will help determine how you sleep. You do want to avoid pressure on that area. For the tunny tuck, you will need to sleep on your back initially with pillows behind your knees and back. You don't want to lay flat initially. Your doctor can also help guide you.

Connie Hiers, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Sleeping Post Tummy Tuck & Fat Transfer

Very carefully. In general, I prefer to separate these procedures, but I also understand the appeal of getting the recovery all done at once. Speak with your surgeon but on your side with pillows propped in front and behind you may work best.

Kouros Azar

Kouros Azar, MD
Thousand Oaks Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck and fat transfer

You may want to consider separating the two procedures.  You may have difficulty finding a comfortable position because your buttocks will be sore after you have fat transfer.  

David Stoker, MD