Do sagging breasts require a lift? (Photo)

I am scheduled for a lift & small implant procedure. I have been thinking lately of just getting implants because that is what my surgeon had recommended during the consult. Although I objected because I didn't want big saggy breasts. Any thoughts would be helpful. Right now I'm roughly a 36C. During pregnancies I was 40DD. I don't want to be this big again.

Do sagging breasts require a lift?

Hello! Thank you for your question! The mastopexy procedure raises the breast, which ultimately provides a more youthful and perky breasts. This is done by removing the extra loose skin and rearranging the surrounding breast tissue in order to reshape and support the newly formed breast. At the same time, the nipple-areolar complex (NAC) is raised to the ideal position above the fold beneath your breast (the inframammary fold) as well as being placed at the most projecting portion. Oftentimes with age or following pregnancy, the NAC becomes widened and enlarged. This may be reduced in size during the breast lift procedure.

It is common for the breast to lose its firmness and uplifted appearance over time, which is also accentuated with age, pregnancy/breast feeding, weight gain/loss, and gravity. This results in breast ptosis, or sagging of the breast, with a “deflated” appearance. Women seek the mastopexy procedure to regain the previous youthful appearance of her breasts and women report increased confidence, self-esteem, and femininity once achieving this desired shape and fullness. Breast lifts may or may not be performed with implants – the implant would add increased size but also greater fullness in the upper pole of the breasts which creates more cleavage. Given your photos, the degree of sagging of your breasts currently would likely necessitate a breast lift in order to enhance the overall shape of your breasts.  This would not be accomplished by implants alone.  Your shape would be improved afterwards by having the nipple positioned at the appropriate place on the most projecting part of your breast.

Hope that this helps!  Best wishes

Do I need a breast lift?

It looks like you need a breast lift, but this can only be confirmed on examination. You appear to be a grade 2 or 3 level of sagginess. In my office, patients with similar findings will be recommended a vertical or anchor breast lift and implants combination if they want the sagging to be reduced, lift the nipples to a more ideal location, and have better long term results. Implants only will sometimes lead to "low big" breasts. Best, Dr. ALDO.

Aldo Guerra, MD

Horndeski Method™

You are an excellent candidate for a new technique called The Horndeski Method™.The breast tissue is reshaped creating upper pole fullness, elevated higher on the chest wall and more medial to increase your cleavage.Aligning the areola and breast tissue over the bony prominence of the chest wall maximizes anterior projection without implants.This technique avoids the ugly vertical scars of the traditional technique, maintains nipple sensation and the ability to breast feed.

Best Wishes,

Gary Horndeski, M.D.

Gary M. Horndeski, MD
Texas Plastic Surgeon

Implants and their effect on breast sagginess.

Implants can certainly "lift" a breast. Particularly higher profile implants. This occurs because the implants fill out the lower breast pole causing the nipple to rotate upwards. If the goal is to go with smaller implants, often times a lift is necessary. For borderline cases, I sometimes recommend staging the procedures - place the implants first and see how the breasts settle out. Many times, the lift can be done in the office under anesthesia if small. 

David Bogue, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Lift or implants?

Looking at your photos it looks as though your nipples are at or slightly above the inframammary folds and in that case you would do well with impalnts.Once you make the incisions for a lift they are yours forever so if you can hold off do so.

Robert Brueck, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Do sagging breasts require a lift?

A breast implant will increase volume and may cause some elevation .
For a small amount of lifting a circum-areolar lift is often sufficient

Hilton Becker, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Lift required?

You have what is referred to as pseudoptosis of the best....translated this means that your nipples are not below your fold, but the majority of your breast has migrated down below your fold. This is very common after pregnancy. You could have a larger implant and avoid a lift, or a modest implant with a limited scar lift. Pick your surgeons brain about your specific options. Good luck and be well.

Kevin Maguire, MD
Vermont Plastic Surgeon

To Lift or Not To Lift?

Good afternoon!

Given your natural shape and volume I would recommend a donut mastopexy with silicone gel implants placed under the muscle! I have attached a link to my breast lift/augmentation page for your review- hope it helps!

Breast Lift with Implants

Hi Alexa,
Please put an index card in your breast fold. If your nipple is at the edge of the card or below, then you would be a candidate for a lift, either a vertical or anchor or areolar. If you nipple is above the edge, you could be a candidate for an internal lift called the dual plane. I believe the dual plane and implants alone will do it for you, and that you will not need a lift. Be sure to seek a consultation to be sure. Then you would only have an incision in the breast fold.  Great answer below. All the best, Dr. Joe

Lift or implant or both???

Very hard over the Internet to be precise. Why not have just the implant in a first operation than see after 3 months if you still desire a lift.