Which is a better option for liposuction? There are so many different options, it's quite overwhelming! (Photos)

I have had four children, the last two by cesarean section and feel like I have hit a wall on getting back into shape. What are my options as far as liposuction goes please? Thank you!

Liposuction Options

Although there are many different technologies that offer different a different approach to liposuction, the goal is the same:  To improve your body contour by removing fat and allowing the skin to fall inward smoothly.  For this to occur, your skin must have good enough elasticity.  Otherwise, you would need some type of skin tuck.  Your photo seems to show that your skin tone is good enough for liposuction to be successful.  Each surgeon will usually employ the technology that works best in his/her hands.  I prefer ultrasonic-assisted liposuction that utilizes ultrasound waves to break down the fat as it is being suctioned out.  The slight heat generated by the ultrasound waves may also help tighten the skin a little.  Honestly, though, I think the skill and judgement of the surgeon is more important than the choice of technology, so seek out a board certified plastic surgeon who has experience with liposuction and has a good reputation within the community.

Best form of liposuction...

Liposuction should be a nice procedure for you. The main question is the laxity of your abdominal skin. If it is not too bad, then Smartlipo or laser liposuction should work well for you. If it is looser or the muscles are divided, then a tummy tuck would be needed for optimal results.

Options for liposuction

Great question and no matter what you hear from advertising, the key element is removal of fat and careful postoperative care.  The type of machine/energy etc. is of minor importance in the vast majority of situations.  Liposuction is good for trouble spots that do not respond well to exercise, and in places where the skin is of good quality.  Your skin looks quite good - better than most who have had 4 kids, so liposuction is an option for you.  Again, the specific type (power assisted, laser, ultrasound, etc.) doesn't much matter.

Thomas A. Pane, MD
Palm Beach Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction after four children.

Thank you for asking about your liposuction.
  • There is no need to fret about which kind of liposuction -
  • Find a good Board Certified Plastic Surgeon and let her/him choose the machine.
  • A good surgeon will use the technique that works best in her/his hands.
  • And a bad surgeon will get poor results, no matter what machine.
  • However - after 4 children, if your stomach is the problem, you also certainly need a tummy tuck to get back in shape.
  • Be sure to see a plastic surgeon - because if you need a tummy tuck, a plastic surgeon will tell you and will be able to help you, whether with liposuction or tummy tuck.
  • Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

What option for lipo

Congratulations on working out with four kids.  That takes some serious discipline! You are a great candidate for liposuction. There are multiple technologies, and some physicians or websites will make it sound like one is far superior to others. Years of performing my own surgeries with multiple different machines as well as seeing other surgeons' before and after pictures at educational conferences has convinced me that who you choose to do your liposuction is far more important than what machine or technique is used. You want someone with experience and formal training (not someone who attended a weekend course and bought an expensive machine that they now have to be able to pay for!). That said, ultrasonic liposuction (VASER) or power assisted liposuction (PALS) can be helpful for back liposuction. The fat there can be a little fibrous, and breaking up the fat first makes it easier to remove with less bruising. The final result may be similar to doing regular liposuction, but the post operative recovery can be easier. I suggest you meet with a couple board certified plastic surgeons to discuss their recommendations. You'll want to review their before and after photos, ask about their follow up plans (do you see the doctor ever again?), ask about their revision policies (what is the plan/potential charges if you are not 100% happy after surgery?).  Best wishes! 

Dana Goldberg, MD
Jupiter Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction/ Liposculpture/ Fat Transfer/ Vaser/ Hi Definition Procedures/Liposuction Revision/Tummy Tuck/Body Contouring

Thank you for your question. From your photos, you appear to be an excellent candidate for Vaser Hi definition liposculpture with fat grafting to the buttocks.  You should get a great result from liposculpture, giving you a more contoured and hourglass shape with better projection to your buttocks. I have done many body contouring procedures and specialize in Vaser Hi Definition liposculpture. Vaser Hi Definition body sculpting requires extensive specialized training. I am one of few surgeons in the United States that was personally trained by Dr. Alfredo Hoyos, the surgeon that developed this technique. Vaser Hi Definition liposuction uses the concepts of negative and positive spaces in relation to the underlying bony and muscle anatomy to define areas such as your six pack and create an athletic looking physique. The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam. Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery. Dr. Schwartz Board Certified Plastic Surgeon Director-Beverly Hills Breast and Body Institute #RealSelf100Surgeon #RealSelfCORESurgeon