Opinions please; medical tape over incision early post-op? (Photo)

I'm 8 days post op and have been on this site pretty often as I believe knowledge is power. My question is I see so many complications with incision healing however my surgeon believes in leaving the incision covered by medical tape. I have only seen it once at my one week post op appointment and don't go back until two weeks. Just wanted opinions on the use of medical tape over incision.

Surgical Tape over the incision

This is a fairly common practice. Tape, dermabond, steri strips - these all help the incision heal by reducing local swelling at the incision line and reducing tension. Although you may want to look at your incision, what you see now and what it will look like after scar maturity are very different.

Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Surgical tapes post surgery

Surgical tape is used to help the scar heal nicely and helps reduce any tension or pulling of the incision. Generally this tape is kept for approximately 2 weeks post surgery. I usually leave the surgical tape intact and let them fall off on their own and even replacing them if they fall off in the early post op period. Your physician will be able to confirm when the tapes can come off upon assessing the scar at your follow up visits. James Lee

James Lee, MD
Montreal Plastic Surgeon

Taping scar after tummy tuck for good healing

The idea of the tape is to limit stress shearing movement along the scar while it is in its early stages of healing, which encourages better healing. I use tape for 4-6 weeks. After that you can use other scar treatments.

Richard Baxter, MD

Very common

Medical tape is very common. I use it in my practice with many procedures. On tummy tucks, we typically leave the tape on for about 2 weeks. Tape helps flatten the scar by relieving tension on the new incision. Follow your plastic surgeon's recommendations and you should have an excellent result! Best of luck.

Opinions please; medical tape over incision early post-op?

Great result! There are various methods to help improve scars after surgery and taping is a great one! I use it for my patients as well.  Keep up the good work.

Megan Jack, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Opinions please; medical tape over incision early post-op? (

Thank you for your pictures and question and I think you have obtained a very nice result.  Each surgeon has their own protocols for improving the appearance of incisions after surgery and taping is a very commonly used method.  Assuming you do not have any substantial change to your overall stomach appearance, all is likely well.  Hope this helps.

Tape on incision

This is fairly common. There may well be some advantage in the scar formation. The only potential negatives are tape sensitivity - which I guess you don't have - and if it starts to get "dirty" underneath it should be removed. In your photo all looks good.

Robert H. Hunsaker, MD

Tape is Fine but you may have another issue going on

Placing tapes over the incision is fine. It is not what I do but it is not wrong. The only thing that I see from your photo is that you may be developing a little fluid collection under your flap. If you feel a fluid wave when you press on it or if it is really swollen you need to go check with your plastic surgeon. I see that your drains are already out so the chance of a collection exists.

Itzhak Nir, MD, FACS

Brilliant option

Hello. Thanks for the question. Your surgeon is using a common technique that will provide you with the thinnest scar by offloading tension on the scar with the tape. Tape can be on for 2-3 weeks and you are monitored to make sure there are no underlying wound issues.

Thank you for yoiur question. You have a beautiful result and obviously an excellent surgeon. Best to follow his/her result. If you notice fluid accumulation under the tape see your plastic surgeon for removal.