How long after a breast augmentation does it take for your breasts to "drop and fluff"?

I'm getting a BA in exactly a week and I'm really nervous and excited so all these questions are coming to mind. I'm getting saline implants under the muscle! Still deciding between 350 and 400 cc. Thank you!

Some anxiety prior to surgery is certainly understandable/normal.

Generally speaking, breast implants will "drop" into the pocket that was created during surgery. The rate of breast implant "settling" may depend on factors such as size of breast implant pocket dissected, tightness of the overlying skin/muscle layers, and size of breast implant utilized. Normally, it takes about 3-6 months (for some patients longer) to see the final result. 

Many of my patients report that as the swelling around the breast implants (for example, in the sternal area) decreases, they feel that their breasts appear more projecting (and that they have better "cleavage"). Also, in my opinion, the "drop and fluff” phenomenon does hold some validity; as breast implants “settle”, many patients feel that their breasts actually look larger. Similarly, it takes a few months for the breasts to "soften" in most cases.  Most of my patients tell me that their breast implants feel "part of them" somewhere between 3 to 6 months after surgery was performed.  

There is definitely a physiologic and "psychological" (body image)  adaptation process that occurs, at differing rates for every patient, for patients who undergo any type of aesthetic surgery, including breast  augmentation surgery.  Understandably, patients often experience significant emotional "ups and downs" around the time of surgery.

Best wishes for an outcome that you will be very pleased with.

Drop & Fluff

Thank you for your question. The Drop & Fluff process can take between 2-6 months. Factors such as implant placement, size, and your tissues will affect this timing. I Recommend that you speak with your Plastic Surgeon about what to expect as you heal and they will advise you.

All the best 

Breast Augmentation timeframe for breasts to drop & fluff

It takes about six weeks for your breasts to drop. I instruct my patients to begin breast massage at three weeks to help the process. I'd check with your doctor to see what his/her protocol is, you do not want to over massage. By three months your breasts should be settled in place. 

Breast Augmentation/Breast Implants/Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/ Silicone Implants/Breast Implant Revision

I appreciate your question.

It will take 3-6 months for you to feel comfortable having implants in your body and for them to settle. This time allows for you to physically and psychologically adapt to your new body image. There are many variables that contribute to a breast augmentation's final result. Preop size and shape, IMF location, location of the implants and type of implant. Patients heal at different rates and each breast will sometimes heal at a different rate. The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.

Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative breast surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

#RealSelf100Surgeon

#RealSelfCORESurgeon

Time for Healing after Augmentation - Placement and Symmetry

Healing will go on for 2-3 months for the early period.  There may be some swelling, bruising, malposition, color differences.   Sensation will be abnormal.  Scars will be changing. If my patients have concerns that something is unusual about their healing process, it is important for them to call the office and discuss these concerns or come in to be examined. During this entire period there will take time for the implants to settle into place and gain complete symmetry, but the best thing to do if there are questions or concerns is to contact your surgeon directly.

Always contact your plastic surgeon if you have concerns about post-operative infection, bleeding, swelling, fever, excessive bruising, or any new and sudden changes in the feeling or look of your implants, breasts or incisions.

Any of the following may be post-op difficulties, about which it is best to contact your surgeon directly:

·       Excessive bleeding (hematoma) and bruising

·       Reduced sensation of #nipple

·       Deflation/rupture

·       Capsular contracture

·       Wrinkling/rippling. Palpable and/or visible

·       Firmness, and distorted appearance

·       Interference with breast feeding

·       Mammogram interference

·       Cost for revision surgery if necessary

·       Calcium deposits in the tissue around the implant

·       Breast tissue atrophy/chest wall deformity

·       Hypertrophic scarring

·       Tissue loss

·       Infection requiring antibiotics or implant removal

Breast augmentation

Congratulations on your upcoming breast augmentation.  It is normal to be apprehensive prior to surgery.  As you are doing, try to learn about your options and get your questions answered prior to your surgery.

Each person's recovery process will be different.  Depending on your body anatomy (tightness of your muscle and breast skin laxity), the rate of implant settling will be different from others. In general, it can take up to 3-6 months to fuller appreciate your breast shape.

In regards to implant size, please share the photos of your desired outcome with your plastic surgeon. Based on his/her examination of your body and your goal, your plastic surgeon will guide you to the right implant size/profile.

Depends

Depends on surgeons technique, could be shortly after surgery(within weeks), could take months, highly dependent on surgeons technique. Good luck with surgery

Breast augmentation: Timeframe for breasts to "drop and fluff"

"Drop and fluff" refers to the fact that as the skin stretches and the muscles relax, the implants move down and out slowly – about 1 percent a day. It’ll be about six weeks before they even begin to settle down, but they’ll be close to 80 percent settled at three months. Watching their progress is like watching your hair grow. You don’t see a difference in your hair growth daily, but all of a sudden you need a haircut. Be patient after surgery. Give yourself a few months before making a judgment about your surgical results. You won't know the outcome until then. For more information on this and similar topics, I recommend a plastic surgery Q&A book like "The Scoop On Breasts: A Plastic Surgeon Busts the Myths."

Ted Eisenberg, DO, FACOS
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon