Juvederm ultra plus in lips 3 days ago for the second time at different doc, having different results. Is this normal? (Photos)

Hello, I got juvederm ultra lip injections once before and I bruised a lot from it but overall by day 4 my lips went down a lot from the swelling and they felt normal I was happy with the results these fillers only lasted me a little over 2 months. I just got them redone the same thing but as I moved I went to a different Doctor. it's day 3 and my top lip is still swollen and hanging over my bottom and look duckish & I still feel discomfort and they feel hard. Is this normal? Will they even out

Swelling and bruising after Lip Injections with Juvederm

Swelling and bruising are common after lip injections.  You have to give it several weeks for the swelling to decrease to see the final results. Each time you get injected, especially by a different injectors, outcome can be different. The most important realization is that you have to be patient.  If there is persistent swelling or a lump or you do not like the outcome, then fortunately it can be reversed.

Summit Emergency Medicine Physician

Lip injections

Each injector has his/her own technique and so results can vary by injector.  Swelling can last up to two weeks for lip injections.  I would recommend waiting until after that time to evaluate the results.  Gentle massage of the area may help to soften them. 

Camille Cash, MD

Lips

It's early in the process to give you an answer. I would wait 2-3 weeks for the swelling to go down before there is a judgement on how your results are. 

Juvederm ultra plus in lips 3 days ago for the second time at different doc, having different results. Is this normal?

Hi there, your lips are pretty swollen and this is normal for up to 2 weeks. I would wait and let them settle down some more. If you do not like the final result you can get your lips decreased in size with a  hyaluronidase. Good luck Dr. Downie. 

Jeanine B. Downie, MD
Montclair Dermatologic Surgeon

Have you considered lip implants?

lip swelling after filler injection can be treated with ice. Maybe the second doctor injected more thAn the first one? In any case I would treat them with ice and if the swelling does not resolve promptly I would consult with your doctor to consider the possibility of adding Medrol dose pak or antibiotics depending on what his findings are. If you routinely require filler for your lips, you may consider lip implants - they are safe, non-toxic, cause less swelling and have a permanent yet reversible result. Best, Dr M

Vartan Mardirossian, MD
Jupiter Facial Plastic Surgeon

Swelling in lips after filler

It is still a bit early to be concerned about the final results. Wait about 2 weeks to decide if they are what you want. Even if you were injected at the same site, swelling could be different/pain could be different and its nothing to worry about at this point.

Steven F. Weiner, MD

Knowing What's Normal with Lip Augmentation with Fillers (juvederm, restylane)

Yes, swelling and firmness is typical after injections and can last 1-2 weeks. If you're unhappy with your final results, you can have it reversed with Hyaluronidase and try a different technique. Best, Dr. Emer

Lip swelling

After treatment the swelling can last around 2+ weeks.  Likely your body is a little more sensitized to the filler this time which may explain your increased swelling. Continue to ice and sleep with your head elevated.  If you have further concerns I would follow up with your provider.

Michelle Ellern, DO
Livingston Physician

Juvederm Lip Augmentation Results

Thank you for your question and for sharing your photographs.  Sorry that you are having some concerns about your postprocedure appearance.  Please keep in mind that it will take 2 weeks to allow for normal postprocedure swelling to resolve and to see your final result.  Icing is beneficial for up to 48 hours after your procedure.  Arnica is also helpful for minimizing normal postprocedure swelling and bruising.  If you are not happy with your final result at 2 weeks, please be sure to see your injector for an in-person reevaluation in order to best address your concerns and to determine the best course of action.  Hope this helps and best wishes! 

Lip swelling after fillers second time...

Thank you for your question.  It can often times take up to two weeks for swelling and hardness to resolve after lip filler.  If after two weeks you are still dissatisfied with your lips, return to your board certified Dermatologist/PS for evaluation and management and possible dissolution of the filler with hyaluronidase.  Regards, Dr. Matt Elias 

Matthew Elias, DO, FAAD
Fort Lauderdale Dermatologic Surgeon