I think I might have gynecomastia, can you help?

I feel some sort of tissue/material under my nipples area and throughout my chest. It's not a lump or anything like that. I can also feel the same material anywhere else I have enough fat to grab on and feel underneath (for example: my inner thighs/ quads). I'll list some variables that I think might be useful -20 y/o -NEVER used steroids or any supplement other than protein shakes (even stopped using that after my junior year of high school) -Been pescatarian for 8 months now

Doctor Answers 5

Gynecomastia can develop for unknown reasons

You should consult a n expert who performs gynecomastia surgeries often in order to get optimal results with no recurrence.Just be careful who you choose.   

New York Plastic Surgeon
4.6 out of 5 stars 74 reviews

Do you have gynecomastia?

Healthy male patients with excess breast tissue or unwanted breast development who have no underlying breast disease.Men who desire improved physical and aesthetic appearance should have realistic expectations based on their condition and the procedure performed. You should meet with a board certified plastic surgeon to be able to get a formal diagnosis and to be able to decide on a course of treatment if necessary.

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS
Orange County Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 154 reviews

I think I might have gynecomastia, can you help?

Thank you for the question.

Gynecomastia comes from the Greek meaning "gyne" meaning woman and  "mastos"  meaning breasts.  It refers to abnormal development of large mammary glands in males.  The diagnosis can be made by physical examination where relatively firm tissue  (breast gland tissue) can be differentiated from relatively soft tissue (adipose tissue).

Breast prominence due to excessive adipose tissue is called pseudo-gynecomastia or lipomastia.  The differentiation of true  gynecomastia  from adipose tissue is important because the surgical treatment may differ. Usually  physical examination by a well experienced board-certified plastic surgeon is sufficient to make the diagnosis  and to determine the best course of treatment.

I have found that gynecomastia is often best treated with  partial excision of the prominent glandular tissue  as well as liposuction surgery of the peripheral chest area.  If the prominence of the chest wall is caused by adipose tissue, then liposculpture surgery alone may suffice.

I would strongly suggest that you make sure you are working with a well experienced board-certified plastic surgeon. 

I hope this, and the attached links, help.

Tom J. Pousti, MD, FACS
San Diego Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 1,487 reviews

Possible Gynecomastia

It surely sounds as if you are describing excess fatty tissue around your breast. Often times this issue can be addressed with weight loss through exercise and diet, but if the problem persists you could be a candidate for gynecomastia reduction and or liposuction to your breasts. The best step would be to consult with a board certified plastic surgeon to discuss your options and develop a treatment plan. Good luck!

John W. Tyrone, MD
Gainesville Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 48 reviews

Procedures for Gynecomastia

An issue with overweight men is a degree of breast ptosis (droopiness) or even skin excess. The treatment for these patients will involve skin excision, areolar reduction, breast lift, or a combination of the three. These cases need to be addressed on an individual manner and the resultant scars and risks need to be explained fully to the patients. In some cases the procedures will need to be staged. In the first stage the excess breast and fatty tissue is removed and the skin is allowed to retract. In a second stage performed months later whatever remaining excess skin is removed. This approach may limit the amount of extra scars that need to be made. Additional procedures that often enhance gynecomastia results are liposuction of the abdomen and flanks, providing fat removal and skin tightening in other areas including your thighs and quads.

Jed H. Horowitz, MD, FACS
Orange County Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 109 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.