Looking for advice on gynecomastia surgery. Just get tissue removed & see how the skin bounces back or have skin removed?(photo)

I have been heavy set since 10 - bad nutrition despite being active in sports. Developed gynecomastia on top of being chubby in general. Never "out-grew" the gyno. Have lost 90+ lbs since June 2013 (currently 158) I am 99% sure on getting an abdominoplasty but am worried my skin on my chest is too loose for simply tissue removal (as the first PS I saw recommended). I'd love an athletic looking chest - getting cut up to just have sagging skin would ruin me emotionally. Any advice is appreciated..

The #gynecomastia is treated surgically by removing the gland. Excess skin will require skin surgery which means scars over your chest. Treating the gynecomastia independent of the skin and letting it to heal first is also an option by avoiding excessive scarring over your chest. 

Seek a plastic surgeon with specialty training in gynecomastia surgery, has great photos, and is an expert in male breast reduction.

Beverly Hills General Surgeon

About Gynecomastia and the Treatment Options

According to official statistics, 36% of adult young men and 57% of older #adult men in the United States have this medical condition in one of the four grades. 

About 200,000 to 3 million cases of #gynecomastia are being reported every single year. So if you have #breast #enlargement and you feel you're an exception, please understand that 1 in 3 young adult #men and 1 in 2 older adult men are just like you and have breast enlargement. 

Several common factors can cause gynecomastia including excessive levels of #estrogen, natural #hormone changes, use of recreational drugs or alcohol, medications and their associated side effects, and, various health conditions. Also, there are different types of #gynecomastia.

There are three types of surgical #treatment #options available that treat gynecomastia. Your board-certified plastic surgeon will recommend the type best suited for you. The most important decision to be made before performing any surgical procedure is determining whether you are an ideal #candidate. 

No Benefit in Doing Two Surgeries

5 IMPORTANT things you MUST know about GYNECOMASTIA surgery after weight loss.

• 1.I find NO BENEFIT from doing two separate surgeries; therefore the majority of my implant cases are performed at the SAME TIME as the gynecomastia surgery.
  • 2.Having the two surgeries together saves you recovery time, anesthesia time, and cost of surgery.
  • 3.85% of the time I find that the “nipple incision” can be AVOIDED, particularly when I use a pec implant.
  • 4.I feel that a tapered square “muscle gel” implant is the best choice. The implant is inserted through the armpit and in my opinion is the very best option to give you the AUTHENTIC, MUSCULAR chest you’re looking for.
  • 5.One of the most important steps you can take in this process is to find a doctor who SPECIALIZES in Male Plastic Surgery AND is Board Certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgeons (ABPS). Plastic surgeons that are certified by the ABPS are uniquely qualified and specially trained and have been proven to provide the best patient care and have the lowest rates of complications. Hope this is good, informative advice for you and best of luck with your journey.

Options for gynecomastia surgery

Congratulations on your weight loss. You look like you are in great shape. I understand your concerns about your chest. Before deciding on what type of procedure you must decide how "tight" you want the skin. The tighter you want the final result, the more scars you will need. I predict that you will not want the scars needed ot get you the tightest, so that you will need to compromise on your goals. Go get a consult from an experienced surgeon who will be able to explain in more details. Good luck.

Gynecomastia

Your case is difficult in that it is complicated by the weight loss. Often times this leads to excess skin that is also fairly inelastic, that is it does not "snap" back the way we hope it does. Its hard to appreciate the gynecomastia in the photos from just excess hanging skin, so you really do need an in person consultation to assess you and go over all the concerns.

In general if there is some elastic capacity to the skin I usually prefer to do the gynecomastia excision/lipo first, allow maximal skin contraction (6-12 months), and then reassess the situation. Often the skin has contracted to where the next intervention is much smaller in scale or unnecessary. Again, your case is a bit more complicated so find an experienced surgeon and discuss all of these concerns with them.

Best of luck.

Zach Barnes, MD
Bakersfield Physician

Looking for advice on gynecomastia surgery. Just get tissue removed & see how the skin bounces back or have skin removed?

I would have to examine you to give you the best recommendation. Look at reviews and before and after pictures as well as credentials to select your surgeon.

Skin after gynecomastia

It is difficult to answer your question without taking a full history and performing a physical examination.  In general, a conservative approach could involve liposuction of the chest and the skin may retract afterwards, which could avoid having big scars on the chest.  A consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon can help you to understand all of your options, and whether or not you would be an appropriate candidate for surgery.  Best wishes. 

Josef Hadeed, MD, FACS

Looking for advice on gynecomastia surgery.

A good physical examination is truly necessary. A conservative approach can be beneficial in that there will be limited scarring. Ultrasonic liposuction, when applied correctly can give some degree of skin tightening which might just be enough help. Please find a board Certified Plastic Surgeon in your area who can help you understand your options.
Good Luck

Stephen M.Davis,MD, FACS
Green Hills Plastic Surgery

Just get tissue removed & see how the skin bounces back or have skin removed?

Without actually examining you I can not assess your skin characteristics. Removing tissue without a significant scar is always a plus and skin can be removed at a later date if needed

Gynecomastia

stay conservative with this. Consider doing just fat and or gland removal first and see what happens. I doubt very much anyone is going to do any significant amount of skin removal as part of the original surgery. also may want to look into some of the skin tightening procedures done with ultrasound or radio frequency. Good luck.

Sherwood Baxt, MD
Paramus Plastic Surgeon