My doctor wants to use filler while doing my facelift. Is this normal procedure?

Fillers & Fat Grafting Can Enhance Facelift Results

Your question is actually fairly common because it seems strange to combine a surgical procedure with a non-surgical treatment that provides temporary results. But injectables complement facelift surgery quite nicely and, in the right cases, many surgeons use them to enhance or prolong surgical results. Keep in mind a facelift will reposition sagging soft tissue but will not replenish the volume lost with aging. Fat transfer is another routinely used technique I perform on most of my Toronto patients who are undergoing facial plastic surgery. Your physician can help you decide whether or not injectable fillers are a good choice for your needs.

Fat Grafting During a Facelift

I regulary perform fat grafting during facial rejuvenation surgery.  Creating a more youthful appearance, and is essence "turning back the clock" includes removing excess skin, repostioning tissue and adding volume in areas where there has been volume loss. I often ask patients to bring in photos from their youth so we can closely examine changes to the face and neck. Generally on change is loss of volume. This could include hollows above or below the eyes, in the cheeks, the temples, the jawline, etc.  I do not use filler, but fat grafting to provide volume. Fat is your own tissue and when placed expertly and judiciously the result look and feels very natural, and the result is permanent.  If fat, or any filler is overdone, or the face is overfilled, the result can be lumpy and can result in a very unnatural 

Look at many, many before and afater images of facial rejuvenation to find a plastic surgeon with extensive experience who consistently provides natural looking results.

Michael Law, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Fillers & Fat Transfer for Facelift

It is fairly common for surgeons to combine a facelift with fillers for optimal results. At my practice, I offer a fat transfer facelift in which fat from the own patient’s body is injected into the face for a youthful-looking appearance. Because a facelift alone can remedy sagging skin but not volume loss, fillers can be a helpful addition to the procedure.

Jonathan Berman, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Fillers can actually quite often help to provide a more comprehensive effect on the face.

Fillers can actually quite often help to provide a more comprehensive effect on the face. Facelift surgery addresses skin laxity, but not volume. If you are suffering from both sagging skin and volume loss, facelift surgery plus dermal fillers could be an ideal combination. At my practice, I often perform secondary procedures along with a facelift for the best results, including fat transfer, liposuction, and cheek or chin implants. I prefer to use your own fat to add volume during a facelift. Your own fat will work well and will last longer than dermal fillers.

Fillers with facelift

Thank you for a great question and for sharing your concern.  A facelift repositions sagging tissue but does not replace lost volume.  Personally, I more often combine fat grafting with my facelift procedures, but fillers can also be used.
I hope you find this helpful. Best wishes!

Consult with a Board Certified Fellowship Trained Facial Plastic Surgery Specialist.

"This answer has been solicited without seeing this patient and cannot be held as true medical advice, but only opinion. Seek in-person treatment with a trained medical professional for appropriate care."

Fillers and facelift

Thank you for your question. It is very normal to have volume during a facelift procedure. This can be done using dermal filler's, or with fat grafts.  Since dermal filler are very well-tolerated, I tend to wait until after the procedure when all the swelling is down before using dermal filler's.  With fat grafts, however, I tend to do this at the same time, since the recovery process is compatible with the facelift procedure.

Fillers or Fat With Facelift

One of the elements of aging is loss of volume in the cheeks, temples and sides of the chin. Fillers or fat transfer can be used to rejuvenate these areas. I typically perform fat transfer as part of my facelift procedure whether traditional or a mini scar technique (most common). The reason is that part of the aging process is loss of fat in the temples and cheek regions which varies from person to person. There is a limit of how much fat can be safely injected into one area. The amount of fat that remains over time is variable from patient to patient. For some patients, more fat or other fillers may need to be transferred in a subsequent surgery to maintain or supplement the desired results.The survival of fat transfer (lipoinjection) is highly technique sensitive so choose the plastic surgeon with the most experience in this technique. See the below links for added details.
#FacialFatTransfer
#FatTransfer

Face lift + Fillers

Thank you for your question. While a face lift procedure will lift and tighten lax tissue, adding volume to areas where the natural fat pads have decreased such as the cheeks, can be an excellent way to restore a youthful look. Injectable fillers are often used inconjunction with a surgical procedure for overall rejuvenation and while under anaesthetic, the discomfort asscotiated with injections is eliminated.

I recommend that you talk with your Plastic Surgeon about the Plan for fillers during your procedure and expectations for results.

All the best

Fillers with Facelifts

The use of soft tissue fillers at the time of facial surgery is a very common and well established practice.  The fillers are often used to enhance the results that can be achieved with surgery alone, and having the injections performed under anesthesia eliminates the discomfort associated with the procedure.  I would be sure you understand what your surgeon is trying to achieve with the fillers before surgery, but this is a very normal practice.  Best of luck.

Fillers Can Enhance Facelift Results

Excellent question, nakl. As a matter of fact, injectable fillers make great additions to facelift surgery because they address the issue of diminished volume without significantly lengthening the time in surgery or the time spent recuperating. Although this approach isn't for everyone, fillers can certainly round out a facelift, selectively adding volume to areas of the face that need it most (usually the cheeks and around the mouth) and complementing the results of surgery.

James N. Romanelli, MD, FACS
Long Island Plastic Surgeon