5 Days post op BA submuscular bruising worsening, hematoma or normal? (photos)

I am post op day 5 submuscular silicone BA 457cc and have developed significant bruising on my sides. They are tender and hard, not like a rock but it feels like a collection of blood underneath the skin. I am worried this may be a hematoma. I have been using arnica cream and tabs and gentle massage to break them up. Is this normal bruising or signs of a hematoma? Do my breasts look normal for 5 days post op?

Hematoma ?

Hi Kelso, Obviously there has been some bleeding in your tissues. The bruising shows that some blood has collected in your surgical site. Usually a little is well tolerated and will not require more surgery. Check with your surgeon in Miami at your next appointment

Corpus Christi Plastic Surgeon

Post Op Bruising Concerns

Thank you for your question and photos. Firmness and some bruising is normal post op- especially as it tends to appear a few days later as blood works it's way to the surface and settles with gravity. The best way to rule out any serious problem is an exam with your Plastic Surgeon, but you appear to be healing well.

All the best

1 week post op, some advices:

Thanks for the question.
Its early to talk about final results.
In my practice, after performing a BA I recommend to my patients to limit the movement of the arms for two weeks. After that, you can move your arms taking care and always with common sense.
In this regard, it's not advisable to carry heavy weights to prevent the implant out of position, and allow the formation of the physiological capsule around the implant, also to avoid pain and breast swelling.
Kind regards,
Dr. Emmanuel Mallol.-

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

I agree, the post surgical pictures of your breast augmentation surgery are typical. The bruising pattern is usual and your breast are a good size and shape and symmetrical. Just continue in a good support bra and take it easy. Good luck. 

Richard Hanson, MB, MCh
Dublin Plastic Surgeon

5 Days post op BA submuscular bruising worsening, hematoma or normal?

Thank you for your question and for sharing your photographs.  Though bruising is always concerning, yours appears to be normal post-surgical in nature and not indicative of a hematoma.  Occasionally this bruising worsens for the first day or two after it develops and then gradually improves.  Your breasts look appropriate for 5 days after surgery but if you have significant concerns see your surgeon for an in-person evaluation.  

Hematoma or not

From looking at your photos I think you are fine.I don't see a problem as far as hematoma is concenred.Always go back to your doctor with consenrs or questions.

Robert Brueck, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Please see your surgeon for examination for any question of a hematoma.  In your photograph your breast result looks good and the breast seems symmetrical thus hematoma is unlikely.  However only your surgeon can diagnose this.

Do I have a hematoma?

From your photographs, your breasts look quite similar in size to me and therefore probably does not represent a significant hematoma. For our patients, a simple in office ultrasound can readily discern whether there is a fluid collection in the pocket around the breast implant or simply bruising in the skin. I recommend you follow up with your operating surgeon.

Marc J. Salzman, MD, FACS

Mild

I don't think hematomas are common after breast augmentation surgery.  You may have had a small amount of blood now that is just showing.  I would just be evaluated by your surgeon.
Best Wishes,
Nana Mizuguchi, MD

Nana N. Mizuguchi, MD, FACS

Hematomas after BA

Hematomas are very common after BA especially if the implants are under the muscle.   You'll should wait and be patient with this issue.   If you want to be sure how large the hematoma is then you should do a ultrasound of the area. 

Derby Sang Caputo, MD