Can a fibroadenoma be removed at the time of BA through the same inframammary incision?

I've always wanted larger breasts, but I have a fibroadenoma on the upper outer quadrant of my right breast. I want to avoid two surgeries and multiple scars. I know the two procedures can be done simultaneously, but would like to know if the lump can be removed through the same incision in the fold?

Fibroadenoma.

It can be done, but not the best idea in my opinion to mix the surgical fields. Breast implants should be placed as sterile as possible to reduce the risks of capsule contracture later in life. Best, Dr. ALDO

Though it is technically possible to remove this at the same time, this may pose issues with bacterial contamination.

Hello dear, thanks for your question and provided information as well... It always depends on where the fibroadenoma is located, I will recommend to not mix those two. It will be better to always discuss it with your surgeon.

Tania Medina de Garcia, MD

Lump in breast

It is always better to not mix the two. Have the lump treated to make sure it is not anything bad first. 

Fibroadenoma and BA

This depends on the location of the fibroadenoma and the willingness of your surgeon to remove it. Discuss it with your surgeon to see what makes the most sense.

FA removal from IMF incision

It would take a physical exam to be sure, but I would think this surgery would be difficult to perform. More importantly it would be unwise to perform these surgeries through the same incision. While removing a FA several breast ducts will be cut into. These ducts contain a small amount of bacteria. If you use the same approach to remove the FA as you do for the BA, there is increased risk of implant infection or increased risk of capsular contracture. An additional scar on the edge of the areola would be my recommendation. Best of luck!