Board Certified Smart Lipo Doctors?

According the lots of reviews about Smart Lipo here on RealSelf, almost none of the providers listed are board certified plastic surgeons. Gynecologists, emergency medicine, ophthalmologists, even facial plastic surgeons recommended in the Smart Lipo reviews - but very few docs certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery.
Why is this?

Smart liposuction performed by non-plastic surgeons

as you have noted, many board certified experienced plastic surgeons do not use smart liposuction or laser liposuction! why is that? As a plastic surgeon who has performed hundreds and hundreds of liposuction procedures over the last 13 years, I am not impressed by the results of the smart lipo. to the contrary I have been caution about using this machine because of the many potential risks and complications that it is associated with. In my opinion, it is the skill and experience of the plastic surgeon that delivers the liposuction result, and not the liposuction machine!

Why is it that non of the doctors offering smart lipo are board certified plastic surgeons.

The answer is that there is no scientific evidence that Smart lipo offer any advantage over the traditional liposuction which is extremely effective and safe when performed by properly trained providers. That is why there are less plastic surgeons doing it. This is the plastic surgeons core business and the majority go with what is proven scientifically.

Board Certified Smart Lipo Doctors?

Thank you for the important question. Unfortunately, differentiating the credentials of the variety of physicians who wish to provide "cosmetic surgery" services, can be very confusing to patients. Also unfortunately, there is no strict regulation set up to protect the consumer by state or national medical regulatory organizations. Therefore, patients must take the responsibility to ask the question: what are you board-certified in?
The American Board of Plastic Surgery is the only board recognized by the American Board of medical specialties. Confirming that your surgeon is certified by the American Board of plastic surgeon is very important; this will assure you that your surgeon's undergone rigorous training, testing, and continued medical education necessary to become and remain board certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery.
Plastic surgeons who are certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery are then potential candidates to join the American Society of Plastic Surgery and/or the Aesthetic Society of Plastic Surgery. These societies will have lists of their plastic surgeon members; these lists may be helpful when patients are seeking a board-certified plastic surgeon. in the process of selecting a plastic surgery I also encourage patients to ask to SEE lots of examples of their work AND preferably speak/see patients who have had similar procedures done.
Be very careful with your decision-making. You will find, while doing your due diligence, that there are many different “specialties” who will offer their services to you; again, I strongly recommend you concentrate on surgeons certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery. Be very careful with your decision-making. You will find, while doing your due diligence, that there are many different “specialties” who will offer their services to you; again, I strongly recommend you concentrate on surgeons certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery.
Again, I cannot overemphasize the importance of careful selection of plastic surgeon when it comes to concerns such as safety, achievement of the desired outcome, and ability to manage complications that may arise (even in the best of hands). Keep in mind that revisionary surgery may be more costly in many ways. I hope this, and the attached link, helps. Best wishes.

Smart lipo or smart surgeon

The Smart lipo machines were widely marketed and adopted by many practitioners 'new' to the field of cosmetic surgery. The machine is a laser assisted system and the jury is out as to the effectiveness or the advantage of the technique. For newer providers the market allure is compelling, for surgeons well established in cosmetic surgery, experience and smart surgery offers other liposuction solutions. Choose carefully.

peterejohnsonmd

Why are there so few Smart Lipo doctors certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgeons?

Let me start by stating that I am board certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgeons(ABPS) and I do perform Smart Lipo.  Smart Lipo is a useful adjunct for certain patients.  The early marketing was done through the mass media and indicated that it was a quick and easy procedure.  This is not true, but it attracted many practitioners from other specialties to become interested.  Some of these doctors are qualified and some are not.  If you are getting Smart Lipo done, you are much more likely to get a good result from an ABPS certified physician.

Kenneth L. Stein, MD

How Smart is Smart lipo?

Your question brings up important issues regarding credentialing, liposuction in general and Smart

lipo. It's true that any practitioner surgically trained or not can basically do anything in the office setting without being monitored or credentialed in any way.  Operating in the hospital environment requires peer review of training and credentials and therefore provides some protection to the public from those practitioners who self proclaim experience and bogus certifications wrapped in slick marketing packages. Many real Plastic surgeons ignore new technologies because they are comfortable with procedures they have used since residency. Also, Plastic surgeons who have experience with both Smart lipo and traditional lipo know that the benefits of Smart lipo are small yet the laser technology used makes the procedure much more difficult to perform leading to a much higher complication rate. Many real Plastic surgeons see these devastating complications due to laser lipo and choose not to do Smart lipo. It could be that Smart lipo is not so smart after all. 

Paul S. Howard, MD, FACS
Hoover Plastic Surgeon

Smartlipo certification

There are no regulations as to which type of physicians are able to perform smartlipo or traditional liposuction for that matter.  However, board certified plastic surgeons are specifically trained in liposuction during their residency training and would likely provide a safe and satisfactory result if they perform smartlipo.

Lawrence C. Lin, MD
Long Island Plastic Surgeon