I have to choose between 371cc & 395cc as they both fit me. I'm 5'6" 130lbs. What would your best advice for me be? (Photos)

I read a lot about boob greed and that they don't feel as big when they are under the muscle but on the other hand I read that they can look top heavy so I'm not sure what to do. Here is what they look like on me with the sizers.

The right size for you

It is very difficult to determine the best lift you will need (recommended based on your photos) or the exact size and shape implant you will require to best match your ideal breast image without an examination by a board certified plastic surgeon. Not just any board certified plastic surgeon, but one with many years of frequently performing breast augmentation surgery including different approaches, techniques and implant choices. This is because several measurements not to mention your breast characteristics are needed to determine the optimal implant size to obtain your goals. Without knowing these dimensions it would be difficult to make this determination. For example, the existing base width of your breast will determine, in many cases, the maximal volume per implant profile that you can accommodate. To illustrate; a 100 cc difference may make a significant difference with a narrow base width breast, but much less of a difference if you have a wide chest wall and wide breast “foot print”. Therefore, just because your friend may have a great result with let’s say a 300 cc implant to make her go from a “A” cup to a “C” cup size does not mean that you will have the same result with the same size implant. The same process goes for just filling in the upper part of your breast without becoming much larger. Further simply placing implants in a bra to determine the size best for you is not always accurate as the bra often distorts the size, is dependent on the pressure the bra places plus the implant is outside your breast and not under it among other variables. Computer software morphing programs that automatically determine the best implant size can be helpful in some but not all cases (e.g. doesn’t work well in my experience with existing implants, sagging or asymmetric breasts). Using “want to be” photos however are useful if simply provided to the surgeon as I will further explain in the link below including silicone vs saline implants

Implant choices

Hello and thank you for your question.   The size, shape, and profile of the implant is based on your desired breast size/shape, your chest wall measurements, and soft tissue quality.  This decision should be based on a detailed discussion with equal input from both you and your surgeon.  Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon and evaluate their results.   The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

Breast Sizing

Hello,Establishing your aesthetic goals is important, and sizing in the mirror like you have done is important. It is true that you need to up size one step to achieve what you see with a sizer in your bra.  However, it is even more important to establish your anatomic capacity as well.  If your goal implant size is bigger than the maximum size implant based on your bio-dimensional measurements,  you will be at much higher risk of complications and re-operations.  Just say no to periareolar (nipple) incisions. They put you at highest risk for capsular contracture, the most common complication of breast augmentation, they cause other scar related mound deformities just as often, and they are not the most cosmetically pleasing incision.  The inframammary incision puts you at lowest risk for aforementioned problems, and is the most cosmetically pleasing incision.Make sure your doctor is a ABPS certified/ASAPS member surgeon who specializes in breast surgery.Best of luck!

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS

371 vs 395

Thank you for your question and the excellent photos. In my experience, and I'm in Texas too, if a woman has narrowed to the volume down to two, most choose the larger. Now that may be a  " Everything's bigger in Texas" kind of thing or not. The 24 cc difference translates to .811 ounce.  (less than a shot glass). You are tall enough to carry the larger implants. If you were 5' and narrow chested, the larger implant might make you appear top heavy. What I have found that most women want to avoid is regret that they did not go large enough.Good luck,

have to choose between 371cc & 395cc as they both fit me. I'm 5'6" 130lbs. What would your best advice for me be?

Thanks for your question.  My best advice would be to show photographs of your desired breast size and shape to your plastic surgeon and allow him/her to do their best job during surgery to achieve that realistic size goal.  During the procedure the surgeon can use sizers to choose between different implant volumes to give you the best result based on the actual appearance of your breasts with the implant in place rather than just placed under your bra.  The difference between the two implants that you stated is extremely small and probably inconsequential as long as you have enough skin distensability to accept the volume without distorting your breasts.  Too large an implant forced into a pocket is likely to give you an unnatural and regrettable result so being guided by your surgeon's recommendation based on your examination is important in my opinion. Jon A Perlman M.D., FACS
Diplomate, American Board of Plastic Surgery
Member, American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS)
Beverly Hills, California

Jon A. Perlman, MD

Breast Size

The difference between 371cc and 395cc is minimal. I do not think you will notice the difference as it is equal to about 2 tablespoons. It is hard to answer your question having not met you in person and spent the time to listen to what you desire to achieve after breast augmentation. You can always schedule another appointment with the physician to try on the implants again. Good Luck!

I have to choose between 371cc & 395cc as they both fit me.

The best cosmetic result in any particular breast augmentation patient depends on a variety of factors, including: Your individual anatomy, realistic expectations, a thorough discussion with the plastic surgeon about the options, and an understanding of the pros and cons of any particular implant choice. Proper sizing is not just about the number of cc’s. or the type of implant. The thickness of your tissue, breast dimensions which include the width, height, and projection, as well as chest wall width all need to be considered when choosing an implant. Trying on implant “sizers” of various shapes and volumes while wearing a tight t-shirt, bra, or bathing suit at a preoperative visit will help you and your surgeon choose the optimal implant.There is very little difference clinically in the appearance of the 2 implant sizes that you are looking at.
Keep in mind that following the advice from a surgeon on this or any other website who proposes to tell you what to do without examining you, physically feeling the tissue, assessing your desired outcome, taking a full medical history, and discussing the pros and cons of each operative procedure would not be in your best interest. I would suggest that your plastic surgeon be certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and ideally a member of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS) that you trust and are comfortable with. You should discuss your concerns with that surgeon in person.
Robert Singer, MD FACS
La Jolla, California

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Implant Size

No one here can give you specific implant size advice without an exam, but if you feel (and your surgeon feels) that both sizes will fit, most patients would prefer the larger choice. The difference between the two sizes is very small. 

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

371 vs 395cc

Thanks for your question! The difference between those two implant sizes is 24cc, which is less than one ounce, less than one shot of tequila! Based on my experience of doing thousands of these (& just liking round numbers more), I'd say go with the 395cc, the difference is really negligible. Best of luck to you!

Robert P. Schmid, MD
Lubbock Plastic Surgeon

There is very little difference between the two sizes, so choose the larger one if your surgeon thinks this is a good size for you.  You may not notice the 24 cc difference.

Connie Hiers, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon