Will my implants separate some more? 9 weeks post op and I feel they are still too close together (Photo)

Hi, I am just over 9 weeks post op. I have 450cc silicone implants. Prior to surgery my cleavage was non existent so my doctor used wider implants to give me a little more cleavage. I feel like they are too close together and don't like them touching like this all the time. It's uncomfortable and the chaffing was really bad at first. I am doing the massages still but improvising by massaging them outward. Will my implants separate any more or will this be how they settle for good??

Will my cleavage improve?

Hi.  Unfortunately, I highly doubt if they will.  Possibly implant exchange with a more narrow implant may help.  You might need additional more complicated surgery to obtain the results you want.

Close implants

Thank you for your question.  Your implants appear to fill your entire chest space so it does not look like there is space for them to shift significantly.  If you do not achieve the result you desire, treatment options might include choosing implants of a different profile (narrower and more projecting) or lower volume.

Implants too close

From your pictures, it would appear that your implants are positioned too close together . This will not resolve with time, and will require revisional surgery to correct. You need to discuss this with your surgeon.

Implant position

Implants should be positioned behind your nipples - nipples should be centered on your implants which is happening.  If you feel they are too close, massaging your implants outward can help.  It's best to speak to your plastic surgeon about your options.

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Cleavage

Thank you for your question and photos. Aside from choosing an implant with smaller diameter, it would be difficult to adjust the spacing of your cleavage without leaving areolas off center or creating other problems. I recommend that you talk with your Plastic Surgeon about your expectations an options.

All the best

Implant width

Your implants may be too wide for your body. Your cleavage is determined also by your anatomy in a lot of ways.

Too tight of a cleavage

At nine weeks post op, I do not think your cleavage will separate more with time. Too tight of a cleavage results from aggressive dissection over the sternum. This would result in an unnatural cleavage. Fixing this problem would require a revision augmentation using internal capsule stitches and likely use of ADM to reinforce this area. Good luck on your journey.

Mytien Goldberg, MD, FACS

Cleavage won't change

While I don't think that your cleavage will change much, if your surgeon had put your implants further apart your nipples would not be centered on your breast mound.  They would then have a "cross eyed" look.  There are trade offs when a surgeon tries to balance size, cleavage and nipple position.  I think that he chose a pretty nice compromise.

John Dean, MD
Baton Rouge Plastic Surgeon

Close cleavage

Your cleavage is naturally defined by the width of your chest bone (sternum).  I tend not too get too aggressive in this area because there is really nothing more than skin covering this bone.  When doctors attempt to create too much cleavage, the results are often disastrous.  With thin skin coverage over the implants, there can be rippling in the cleavage area which may prevent the patient from wearing low cut outfits that might expose this rippling.  Also, the implants may be centered too close to the middle rather than behind the nipple which may result in the nipples pointing outwards towards opposite walls.  Or it can just mean that the cleavage is too close which is what you have.  Fortunately, you do not have symmastia or a "uniboob" where the pockets actually connect across the midline.  I don't know that your situation will improve naturally but you might give it another month or two to see.  If it hasn't corrected itself then there is an operation that can be done to correct the situation surgically.  For more information, you might want to visit our clinic at Riverstone in Blue Ridge.  I would be happy to discuss your options with you.

Edwin C. Pound, III, MD

Will my implants separate some more? 9 weeks post op and I feel they are still too close together

Thank you for your question and for sharing your photographs.  At 9 weeks i do not think that your implants will separate any further than your current results.  It is always advisable to weight 3-6 months after a breast augmentation to see your long-term results, but based on your current appearance I fear you would need to replace the implants for ones that are not as wide in order to return a gap between them.  Talk to your surgeon and voice your concerns.