What could have caused this? (photos)

I had a scar revision one week ago under local.When I got home I noticed a big blister at the edge of the tape. I called my surgeon. He removed the tape and there were 3 blisters. He removed the fluid and this is what I'm left with. Ive had other procedures that used the same tape with no issues.What could have caused this??

Skin compromise

can be caused by tape causing tension blisters as well as excessive tension on the skin edges themselves.  Your surgeon should have advised you on proper wound care and principles (not letting the wound dry out, no smoking if you do smoke, etc) and hopefully this will resolve on its own.  And if not, your surgeon will have to figure out plan B to get it healed for you.

Thank you for your question. Blisters could be from tape or some lack of blood supply or combination. Please continue local wound care and follow with your PS.

Skin necrosis

The blisters could be caused by the tape or tension from swelling.  But It appears that the edges of the skin have some necrosis.  This would imply that the blood supply to the skin edges was poor.  This occasionally happens.  Keep the area clean and protected with a non-adherent bandage and be assured that the area will heal and most likely heal well.  Be sure to discuss this with your surgeon and best wishes!

Levi J. Young, MD
Overland Park Plastic Surgeon

What could have caused this?

Sometimes this happens with tape and it resolves on it own without any future problems. Follow up with your surgeon. 

Karol A. Gutowski, MD, FACS

Blisters may happen with any tape, however they do appear superficial and should heal with time. Please follow your surgeon's post operative instructions for wound care.

Connie Hiers, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Blistering after surgery

Thank you for the question and photos.  I am sorry to hear about your healing issue.  Tape can certainly cause this type of blistering and if the blisters occurred under the tape alone then we must assume that the tape was a factor.  Excessive tape tension or an allergic reaction to the tape/adhesive can all be source of why this occurred.  I have found that most people are not allergic to the tape but excessive tape adhesion naturally can separate the layers of the skin which result in blistering.

Follow your plastic surgeons advice and guidance and monitor your progress.

Good luck with your healing.

Dr. Remus Repta

Remus Repta, MD

Blisters after scar revision

Several reasons for blisters after surgery

1.  Allergic reaction to skin prep left under dressing

2. Swelling after steristrips or tape applied

3.  Allergic reaction to skin prep such as mastisol

4.. allergic reaction to adhesive on tape or steristrips

Best of luck

Raymond Jean MD Board Certified Plastic Surgeon Bryn Mawr, Philadelphia,  PA 19010

Raymond Jean, MD
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Tension with adhesive tape

Sorry to hear about the issues you are having. Sometimes when there is excessive tension along the incision with the adhesive tapes, blisters can form. Close follow up with your surgeon is important ensure proper and timely healing.

Dr. Ravi Somayazula

Ravi Somayazula, DO
Sugar Land Plastic Surgeon