Am I a candidate for either liposuction or a mini tummy tuck? (Photo)

I'm 27 5'2 135lbs 3 children 1 c-section. I'm wanting to have either a mini tummy tuck or liposuction. I have did a lot of research on a full tummy tuck, and I REALLY do not want to get a full TT. I am small person but I have some fat on my stomach, and a weird shaped bulge. I have seen 3 plastic surgeons two of them said I would benefit from lipo and the other said I would need a full TT. I also have some lose skin at the bottom of my stomach.

Based on your pictures I believe you are a great candidate for a full liposuction in the abdomen , waist, flanks and back , this will give you the look you desire. 

Many surgeons, including myself, offer online virtual consultations where you send us your photos and we can estimate the cost. I, like many surgeons, also offer free consultations so that you can be examined and given the most accurate quote.

Choose a board certified plastic surgeon who has done a ton of Brazilian Butt Lifts and has privileges to do this surgery at a local university hospital. This says his credentials have been checked out by fellow Drs. All surgeries carry risk, talk to your plastic surgeon and choose one wisely. 

Am I a candidate for either liposuction or a mini tummy tuck?

A tummy tuck would produce a better result.  Look at before and after pictures and reviews to determine who is the best surgeon for you.

Mini tummy tuck

It is difficult to give you the best response without seeing & examining you, but you appear to have minimal fat & some excess skin.  Thus excision of the excess skin is necessary.  As you already have a scar from C-section/s then the mini abdominoplasty scar would not be much longer.  Your muscles need to be assessed, as it is common from pregnancies to have rectus divarication (separation of the 6 pack abdominal muscles) & this could be repaired at the time of your procedure.  Find a plastic surgeon that you trust the opinion of & understands your goals.  All the best.

Kim Taylor, FRACS
Melbourne Plastic Surgeon

Options for abdomen

Thank you for pictures. You have seen : plastic surgeons for consultation. They can provide you the most accurate recommendations. In general,  loose skin requires removal.  Despite, getting different recommendations none of them recommended a mini tummy tuck. You must choose a surgeon that you trust can produce the results you desire. 

What to do about your tummy

I would recommend a formal evaluation to give you more accurate advice. It's all about managing your expectations and what you are willing to accept from a standpoint of scars. To obtain the ideal shape and contour you would likely need a full tummy tuck to remove excess skin and fat and tighten your muscles. My patients typically do not complain about the scars because they are very low in the bikini line. If all you want is removal of fat then liposuction would address that but you may be left with extra skin. There is a blend between a mini and full tummy tuck and basically I make my incisions as short as I can without compromising my result. Hope this helps. Have a great day! 

Gaurav Bharti, MD, FACS
Charlotte Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction vs TT

I suggest an in person or Skype consult.  It is hard to tell from the photos how much skin laxity you have.  I have had great results with skin tightening from just liposuction alone, even though most people will tell you that is rare.  Some people with good skin tone, musculature, and soft fat do very well with liposuction alone.  However, if you have a lot of laxity or a lot of stretch marks, it is sometimes in your best interest to just do the surgery.  My suggestion is to find someone with experience in this field, not someone who does fat or skin surgery as just part of their practice.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Full Tummy Tuck

A photo with you leaning over would be helpful in evaluating your abdomen.  However, I will make an educated guess and state that you have abdominal muscle laxity (looseness) along with excess skin and fatty tissue both above and below your belly button.  I would guess this because you have had three pregnancies and, from your photos, it looks like you have loose skin (and stretch marks?) already. 

Liposuction alone is not a good option since it will only thin out the fatty tissue that is located between your abdominal skin and abdominal muscles.  You will still have loose skin (even more so) afterwards given that you have had three pregnancies  Liposuction also will not realign your two central vertical abdominal muscles that have separated (rectus diastasis) with your pregnancies.  

A mini tummy tuck only takes care of the lower half of the abdomen.  The belly button is not repositioned.  The excess lower abdominal skin and overhang would be taken care of, also removing your C-section scar.  The muscles of your lower abdomen would be realigned.  These would improve the appearance of your lower abdomen only.  However, your upper abdomen would then appear relatively larger since those muscles would not be realigned and tightened.  Also, your belly button could be pulled down too much and look distorted.  Try this...With you leaning over, pull down the lower abdominal skin that you would like to be removed and tightened.  Now stand up, still holding that skin down. Does doing this pull down and distort your belly button too much?  If so, that is what a mini tummy tuck would do.  

A full tummy tuck would provide the best overall result.  I would also recommend liposuction your lower back "muffin tops" to completely contour your body. When evaluating a plastic surgeon's tummy tuck photos, look at the photos that show the lower abdominal scar (not the ones covering up the scar).  Also evaluate the overall contour in multiple views (e.g., leaning over) and look at the appearance of the belly button after surgery.  Remember, scars do fade (though do not disappear) over time.  And there are effective scar treatments that speed up the fading process.

Always choose a plastic surgeon who is Board Certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery.

Wishing You the Best!

Tuck It

You clearly need some sort of tuck because you have loose skin. A mini tummy tuck will only address the area below your belly button. This will provide improvement but it will not fully address the tummy. I would highly consider a tummy tuck.  

Justin Yovino, MD, FACS

No full tummy tuck

You do not need a full tummy tuck. However, you have hanging skin from the C-section. I think that a mini tummy tuck will be helpful to correct the loose skin from the C-section. Liposuction of the entire abdomen and waist will nicely shape your abdomen

John J. Bandeian, MD
Bristol Plastic Surgeon

Best procedure after 3 children and a C section

Thank you so much for your question about a mini-tummyntuck.

It is very difficult to tell without examining you but what you want is important.
Look at yourself in profile - the tummy bulge in your photo is largely from stretched muscle.
If that is what you want fixed, then a tummy tuck is the best operation for you.

If you are sure that is a "No" for you, then consider liposuction with a trim of the excess skin forming the bulge. 
A mini-tuck will probably give you a flat lower tummy and a very bulgy upper tummy - not a good look.

Be sure to see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Here’s hoping you find this helpful. Have a great day!