Are there any recommended compression garments for working out during weight loss?

I am interested in having a Lower body lift for major loose skin & fat in my midsection. However, I want to loose more weight before the surgery. My problem is my back: because I have this hanging skin & fat around my midsection that shifts around like a loose fanny pack worn in front I have back pain that keeps me from working out consistently. I am wondering if there are compression garments that are recommended for holding skin/fat in place while I workout? Or other recommendations? Thanks!

Doctor Answers 3

Body Lift

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Thank you for your question in regards to a body lift. Support garments may help with discomfort when working out. To be sure, see two or more board-certified plastic surgeons in your area for a full and complete evaluation to make sure you are a good candidate and that it is safe for you to have surgery. I hope this helps.

Nashville Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 221 reviews

Body lift - comprression garments during weight loss

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Thank you for asking about your body lift and weight loss.
  • Congratulations on your losing weight and getting fit - a fantastic achievement.
  • Surgical support garments are likely to give you the support you need.
  • It sounds as though you need a short leg body suit -
  • Two good manufacturers are Marena (in Georgia) and Design Veronique in California.
  • If you go to their websites, you should find something that seems to suit you and order it.
  • You can try a girdle garment but generally the waist bands are too tight for comfort.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Best wishes - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Recommended compression

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Schofa01, congratulations on your weight loss, and awesome to hear that you remain so motivated to hit the gym.  Before considering garments or other "band aids" to cover up or minimize discomfort, I would encourage a visit with your primary care physician, even an orthopedist or PMR specialist.  It is important to determine the cause of your pain, perhaps degenerative joint disease or lumbar disc problems.  A diagnosis will help best determine treatment, which may include body garments, but may also be addressed by physical therapy, medications, or other means.  Best of luck!  

Larry Lickstein, MD
Fairfax Plastic Surgeon
4.2 out of 5 stars 43 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.