Any suggestions for Mommy makeover?

I am planning to get a mastopexy(with no implants) and a tummy tuck. I am 35 years old with 2 pregnancies- one being a twin pregnancy. I am 5'3" and 120lbs. Planning to do the surgery in India. Will be in complete rest for 2 weeks. However planning to make travel (not strenuous though) in 3rd week. and fly back to the US in about 3 weeks following the surgery. Is this too much following the surgery?

Post-Op Mommy Makeover Healing

Healing after the procedures will take time. However, I have my patients out of bed and walking the night of surgery and every hour while awake. I allow my patients to return to work at one to two weeks with 14 days preferred. No lifting or straining. At three weeks increased level of activity and full, no restrictions, at 6 weeks. 

Considering the fact that you will not be traveling until the 3rd week you should be fine. Your best advisor, though, would be your own surgeon and their recommendations related to the details of your procedures. 

Mommy Makeoverand Travel

Medical tourism has become very popular due to the savings on surgical fees. There are many things however to consider.
  • Do you speak the foreign language? Communication with the surgeon and staff is very important
  • Does the hospital have the same high standards as the United States?
  • If you have a complication while out of the country will your insurance cover it?
Sometimes surgeons can offer much lower fees because their country doesn't require Mal-practice insurance. After three weeks, you may be fine, however there are risks involved, you need to weigh the pros and cons carefully! Good luck.

Miguel Delgado, MD

Caveat emptor

Price matters but so does your health.  Logistics trump.  In taking care of #overseas patients, their health outcomes and aesthetic desires must be optimized. #Clots can develop in the legs during long flights and break off to the lungs causing a potentially fatal condition, pulmonary embolism.  Whenever an individual is immobilized for a prolonged period of time, during the course of a flight or lengthy surgery, sluggish venous circulation can produce clots.  Overseas patients are requested to obtain pre-op medical clearance, at home, prior to their arrival and be "on the ground, walking" for a minimum 3 days, preop.  We use both compression hose as well as sequential compression devices during the surgery as well as recommend early ambulation, post op.  Considering your MM plan, a mastopexy and TT, 3 weeks in town should be sufficient.  Do be aware of the potential pitfalls of choosing to have your surgery abroad but if you are still motivated, do your homework and good luck! 

Lavinia K. Chong, MD

Mommy makeover in India

Medical tourism has become quite popular over the last few years to include many specialties. There are many well-known, well-trained international plastic surgeons all over the world. However,  when one makes the decision to have a surgical procedure outside of the United States, there are several considerations to be thought out.  First and foremost, if there is a problem or a complication following the surgery and you are already home, you may find it difficult to find a surgeon to manage the problem as they did not perform the original procedure. Second, if a revision is necessary, it may also require additional travel back to the original surgeon. in addition, other factors such as street safety, hygiene, and  cleanliness of the water, to name a few, need to be  considered. Cost is always a factor and can be the one issue that makes people travel outside of the United States for surgery. Be sure to weigh these other factors with the total cost of your surgery and plan very carefully.

Gustavo E. Galante, MD
Schererville Plastic Surgeon

Any suggestions for Mommy makeover?

My only suggestion would be to clearly understand the risks of going to a country for surgery where there is poor oversight on the medical profession. This does not mean there are not excellent surgeons in India, but you risk complications that will either prolong your stay by many weeks or require revisiting your surgeon for care of the results you may find unacceptable. The most recent experience I had was a very intelligent lady who did her research and learned her Indian surgeon had been trained and board certified in the US (further investigation revealed neither was true). She had a brow or forehead lift, a face and neck lift and upper and lower blepharoplasty. None of the procedures were done well and we had to eventually (after she saved up enough money) redo every part of her face. 

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Suggestions for mommy makeover in India.

Unless you have a compelling reason to have surgery outside the US we would suggest that you will get the best care here at home with careful followup available. If you have an problem during or after surgery this relationship with your surgeon can be priceless.

Any suggestions for Mommy makeover?

Thank you for your question Each patient recovers at their own pace after surgery but in general most tummy tuck patients are able to walk comfortably at 2 weeks.  If you are definite on your desire for medical tourism, with its associated risks, be sure that your surgeon informs you of the needed before and after surgical planning you will need to try and minimize the risk of complications from such extensive travel.  Best wishes.

Mommy Makeover

Thank you very much for your question.

Unless there is a very compelling reason for you to have the surgery in India at that particular time, I would recommend that you have the surgery done locally by a doctor who can follow you closely after surgery beyond 2 weeks.  That's quite a lot of surgery, and quite a bit of travel afterwards.

If it were me, I'd enjoy India without the surgical recovery, and have the surgery done back home when I could recover and be watched over closely in case there were issues.

Daniel Krochmal, MD
Chicago General Surgeon

Any suggestions for Mommy makeover?

Most plastic surgeons would have several concerns with what you are planning.

Combination procedures may be performed together. Whether you are a reasonable candidate, however, for the combination of procedures you listed depends on your anatomy, the extent of the abdominoplasty (tummy tuck), the complexity of the breast surgery, your medical history, medical clearance from your primary physician, realistic expectations of the outcome and an understanding of the pros and cons of the various procedures.

Most patients prefer undergoing one anesthesia and one recovery period which is usually more cost effective, but many surgeons would prefer performing these procedures in 2 separate operations to diminish the potential for complications. Having stated that, most ethical experienced surgeons would feel that the combination of procedures that you listed would be excessive to perform at the same time.

Safety should always be the main concern. It is generally recommended that the length of elective surgery be less than six hours. The procedures should be performed in an ambulatory facility that is accredited by one of the nationally recognized accrediting organizations like the American Association for Accreditation of Ambulatory Surgical Facilities (AAAASF) or if it is outside of the Unite States an international organization like the the American Association for Accreditation for Ambulatory Surgery Facilities International, (AAAASFI) or in a licensed hospital.

Having surgery at a reduced rate in a foreign country sounds appealing, but there are many concerns that you should consider. Generally, there is no preoperative direct discussion with the surgeon who is going to perform the surgery in order to establish any reasonable doctor/patient relationship. There are often language barriers that can interfere with your care. Even if your surgeon speaks English, the ancillary personnel like the nurses and the anesthesia provider who are involved in your care, may not. The quality of hospitals outside of the U.S. varies tremendously. Some are accredited and inspected, others are not. Even if the hospital has reasonable facilities and the surgeon has training, which may not be up to the quality of training of a plastic surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery, the quality of the nurses and others involved in your care may be very different from that in the United States. They may have little or no formal medical education, training or credentialing.

There is usually little follow-up care. In addition, the general sanitary conditions often increase the risk of infections, including some that are generally rare in this country.
There are also major potential problems that may occur with traveling long distances just before and after surgery, like dehydration and fatigue, but more importantly complications including clots in the legs called deep venous thrombosis and clots to the lung which may be life threatening.

In most countries, if a problem develops, you will have little legal recourse and no ability to file a complaint either against the hospital or about the surgeon. If complications.,develop after you return home, it may be difficult or impossible to obtain care from your local physicians. If problems do occur, the cost of subsequent care can be far greater than the reduced cost of the original surgery. While there are well-trained physicians in many other countries, I would suggest that you travel for pleasure or business and have your surgery closer to home.

Robert Singer, MD FACS

La Jolla, California

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Mommy make-over - how to do it in India

Thank you for asking about your mommy make-over.

• Unless you are yourself Indian, know the surgeon through family or friends and have family or friends to assist you during recovery, I suggest you not do this. 
  • it is not that it is wrong - but it adds significant and unnecessary risk to major surgery that even under ideal conditions can have major complications.
  • Surgical recovery begins with the operation and does not end for 6 months
  • You live in an advanced country in a major city with excellent plastic surgeons who will give you good care.
  • Why put your self at risk - especially when you have children to consider.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Best wishes - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS