Is it possible to make breasts closer together with an augmentation? (Photos)

I have a large space between my breasts. Can I expect my end result of a lift and implant to make more cleavage?

Is it possible to make breasts closer together with an augmentation?

The space between your breasts is determined primarily by the width of your breastbone.  Especially when implants are placed underneath the muscle, the preferred method, the muscle has to be left attached to the breastbone and although cleavage is improved it is hard to make the implants as close together as though UC in the photo.  If the implants are placed underneath the breast gland on top of the muscle they can be placed closer together but there are many disadvantages to having implants placed on top of the muscle.

Cleavage

Cleavage is determined by your overall anatomy.  If you have wide spacing to begin with, it is unlikely to get much closer post-surgery.

Can Cleavage be Improved with Breast Augmentation Surgery

The answer is yes but with some limitations depending upon your chest wall configuration.  It there are no anatomical hindrances, enhanced cleavage can be obtained by : 1. A more medial placement of the implant2. Varying the size and type of implant used. 3. If needed a breast lift. 

Joseph Rucker, MD, FACS
Eau Claire Plastic Surgeon

Cleavage

You should have better cleavage with combined breast lift and implants placed medially. See breast specialist in your area

Stuart A. Linder, MD, FACS

Cleavage and breast augmentation

The short answer is YES, you can get more cleavage through breast augmentation.  How much more will depend on your anatomy (how close or far apart the breasts are to start with) and the type of implant used (base diameter of the implant will play a major role in how much cleavage there will be).  Best to have a consultation with an experienced, board-certified Plastic Surgeon to discuss all your options.

Better cleavage

Hi and thank you for your question.  Typically, yes, one can improve the cleavage area with a breast augmentation and a breast aug with lift.  How much of an improvement that is, however, depends on each individuals specific anatomy before surgery.  There are certain anatomic considerations that cannot be altered during surgery because they run the risk of creating an unnatural look and even making the implant more visible.  Best you meet in person with a PS who can examine you and discuss your expectations in detail.  Good Luck!

Improving the cleavage of the breasts

A surgeon can usually create better cleavage with a breast augmentation. However, depending upon the patient's anatomy and how large an implant she is desiring the results may range from great to only fair. Typically the implant placement must respect the position of the patient's breast. Moving the implant pocket too centrally makes the nipples appear to be facing outward, which is unnatural in appearance. Trying to place a larger implant can work up to a point but many patients will not wish to have an implant that is too large just to get more cleavage. An in person consultation with an experienced breast surgeon will help you to put things in to proper prospective and help you to have realistic expectations.  Best of Luck   Dr Harrell

Respect your anatomy

Your natural cleavage width is determined before your breast augmentation procedure. If the implants are artificially placed closer together, the center of the implant will not be centered behind the nipple. This will then cause the nipples to be displaced laterally causing a significant unaesthetic deformity that can be very hard to correct secondarily. The lesson here is not to cause a secondary problem by trying to change your natural anatomy.Best wishes,Dr. Ravi Somayazula

Ravi Somayazula, DO
Sugar Land Plastic Surgeon

Cleavage

Your cleavage, or distance between your breasts is more predicated upon the width of your breastbone than any skill of your plastic surgeon in the procedure or implant choices. One must center the implant on the nipple and areola, otherwise, if placed too close together, will make the nipples point outward, which looks funny. In my experience, I've had good success using shaped implants with an oval base that are wider than they are tall to help fill in the space and make it appear to be smaller. A Vectra 3-D imaging platform can be utilized to show the difference between these implants and those that are around. I would try to find a plastic surgeon in your  location  with experience in cosmetic breast surgery.

Marc J. Salzman, MD, FACS

Cleavage Spacing

Areolas are naturally set with different spacing for different people. Your Plastic Surgeon must place the implant volume centered behind the nipples and natural breast, otherwise your nipples would appear to be placed off to the sides of the breast.
All the best