I have facial scars from a fire I was in 40 years ago. Since I'm now 63, the scars are protruding more, any thought on botox?

Thanks for your query. Botox doesn’t really help with scars. You can attach a picture as we will be able to guide you better. Protruding scar can be taken care of by intra regional steroid injections. Hope it helps.

All The Best

India Plastic Surgeon

Scar evaluation

To help guide you to appropriate treatment options, please post a photo so that we can see how the scars are affecting you.

Facial scars from a fire 40 years ago are protruding more

Botox will have no effect. Several different lasers, needling and abrasion treatments can be used depending on your situation.

Curtis Perry, MD
Downey Facial Plastic Surgeon

Facial Scars/Burns/Botox?--Try Fractional Lasers Like Fraxel or CORE/Total FX

Without pictures, it's difficult to determine. I suggest a combination of pulsed dye laser and fractional lasers. See a a cosmetic dermatologist who specializes in scarring.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Scar from a fire on face

I don't see any pictures but scars require either lasers or Infini for improvements. Please see an experience and board certified physician for this.

Steven F. Weiner, MD

I have a few lasers that I have successfully used to treat facial scars. u can look at the link provided below. I have used Botox to correct some scars in patients with underlying deeper tissue involvement. and it does work. but thats not the only thing that will help you. it has to be a multi-dimensional approach.

Misbah Khan MD, FAAD, FACMS

Botox and scars

Botox injection will not help scars. the best, least invasive and least expensive treatment is injection with steroids into the scars.  Be sure you see a board certified dermatologist or plastic surgeon

Melvin Elson, MD
Nashville Dermatologist

Facial Scars

Raised scars will need to be treated with dilute steroid and / or 5FU to make them flat. At that point, a fractionated laser is best to help with the texture of the scar. A fractionated Erbium is the most efficient, but we've had nice improvements with the Halo laser. A fractionated CO2 laser can also help.

Andrew Campbell, M.D.

Quintessa Aesthetic Centers

Andrew Campbell, MD
Milwaukee Facial Plastic Surgeon

Facial Scars

Dear Splurge

Botox has shown some help in scars located in mobile areas of the face and body, but likely will not make a significant difference overall used by itself. 

My choice for burn scars is a combination of Ultrapulse CO2 laser resurfacing and derma pen treatments, often used in combination with transdermal delivery of steroids and 5FU. Combination treatments tend to yield the best results. 

Find a good plastic surgeon or dermatologist in your area with expertise in laser scar revision. Jill Waibel is a dermatologist in Miami who is world renown for her work with burn patients. 

I wish you all the best

Dr S

Travis L. Shaw, MD
Richmond Facial Plastic Surgeon

Botox for facial scars

Botox would not be a typical treatment for facial scars, but it is possible it could help, depending on the location and type of scar.  An examination of you, or at least photographs of your scars, would be needed to give you further advice.  

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon