Are tiny thin bald dots on shaved scalp dead follicles?

After having a less than tight "manbun" for several years, my hair was tangling and forming matted locks. I had enough of it and finally had it chopped off recently. While my friend and barber was cutting it off, some of the tangles felt pulled out from my scalp. Wishing I had said something about the pain at the time, I figured it was an unfortunate part of the process. Anybody that can microscopically examine the scalp in certain areas to tell if these tiny thin bald dots are treatable?

Doctor Answers 3

Removal of man bun

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

There are a few issues to be aware of here. First, the experienced in the barbershop will not have caused permanent hair loss. Pulling on hair can cause traction alopecia but that is temporary if any ripping and pulling of hairs occurred. Anything your barber did will grow back. However, the actual wearing of the man bun can cause hair loss. And many men over the years of wearing certain hairstyles forget that they were actually devleoping another hair condition all along without noticing. The most common of such conditions is male pattern balding. In summary, pulling of hair at the barber over a 20-50 minute period can lead to temporary hair loss, yes- but that will grow back. If you are worried about other causes see a dermatologist. At this point one can't realy tell what will grow out but by comparing the "shaved look" now with what things look like in 3-4 weeks it will be pretty clear.

Vancouver Dermatologist

Examination of schalp

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Most hair doctors have hand microscopes which they can use on your scalp to answer the questions you asked about

William Rassman, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 29 reviews

Tiny spots without hair; ENGLEWOOD CLIFFS NJ

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

In my opinion, you should see a hair loss specialist. They will examine your scalp with either a dermatoscope, foliscope, other magnification or phototrichogram and possibly  a biopsy . The goal is to assess the status of your follicular units and develop a treatment plan.


Jeffrey Rapaport, MD
Englewood Dermatologic Surgeon
4.7 out of 5 stars 41 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.