5 months post TT and I stilli have hardness (swelling) & unfortunately I cannot tell my true weight.

This Salma, i'm 5 months post op full tt, my abdomen still have some hardness and swelling, in the morning my tummy is soft and flat, and my weight is lower, but in the evening my tummy becomes hard.i dont know my true weight at this moment because my weight keeps flactuating. Should i be concerned.

Abdominoplasty and swelling

Thanks for your question.  

It is not uncommon for swelling to take up to a year to resolve completely.  You are often flatter in the morning and then more swollen at night.  Don't be concerned with weight fluctuations as much as how you look.  Weights can increase by 4 pounds daily in an individual without surgery..

Good luck.

Dr. T

Tummy tuck and swelling

It is not uncommon to have some residual swelling that may fluctuate with activity and diet. If concerned, best to review with your surgeon.

Weight

Don't focus on your weight. It is normal for your weight to fluctuate up to 5lbs. during the course of the day. And swelling can also fluctuate from day to night. Follow-up with your plastic surgeon routinely and even reevaluate your current appearance with your pre-op pictures taken. Hopefully you see a huge improvement. Best wishes. 

Swelling

Hardness and swelling can take longer in some patients, sometimes up to 1 year. Since your swelling varies during the day, it is still healing.

Close follow up with your plastic surgeon is recommended. 

Post op abdominoplasty

Its quite normal to still be swollen 5 months post op abdominoplasty.  Your abdomen will become swollen at night due to the activity you do during the day.  Be sure to wear your garment during the day.  This will help you with the swelling at night. 

Tummy Tuck Hardness and swelling.

Thanks for your question. What you are describing is quite common. As you stand during the day fluid from your body moves downward and is trapped by the scar. When you lye down at night the fluid can go sideways and the firmness subsides. At the scar continues to mature it traps fluid less, but this process often take about 12 months.

While what you are describing sound quite normal check in with your PS for a check up to be sure.

Adam Tattelbaum, MD
Washington DC Plastic Surgeon

Hardness and Swelling Months After Surgery

Swelling can persist for several months and will gradually improve and will look better at three months, six months, and even one year. Frequently the pubic area can become very swollen and discolored during the first two weeks due to gravity as this is the lowest area for swelling to accumulate.

It may take several months for a tummy tuck patient’s scars to soften, for sensation to return, and for relaxing of the tight sensation in the abdomen. In the case of extensive surgery, abdominoplasty recovery can be uncomfortable and may take longer. Scars may stay red, become thick or widen. It can take 12-18 months for the scars to settle.

These can be improved with topical treatments such as BioCorneum, Scar Guard, Scar Fade and Mederma. Redness can be improved with laser treatments and the scars can be kept narrow with products such as Embrace.  On occasion, keloids or hypertrophic scars can develop and will need treatment including Kenalog, 5FU and laser.

Given the fact that it tends to take several months for swelling, tightness, bruising, incisions and scars to completely heal, it would be best to visit your surgeon to have the area examined for proper healing. It can take some time, so good luck.