Hi! I am 24. I have always had heavy eyelids (my dad has them too). Do I need a Blepharoplasty? (photo)

Hi! I am 24. I have always had heavy eyelids (my dad has them too). My brow bone is also prominent. I think I have excess skin. One eye is droopier than the other.  Am I a candidate for Blepharoplasty? Thank you very much!

Doctor Answers 5

Eyelid Surgery in Young Patients - Indications

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
This all depends on your exam. Without a photo or examination I cannot give you a specific answer. One of the indications to do surgery on young patients is for eyelid drooping (ptosis) which can run in families.
See a board certified oculoplastic or plastic surgeon for an evaluation and recommendations.

Do you need a blepharoplasty?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
The upper eyes and brow are a complex area of the face. Treatment depends on a number of factors. In other words, depending on your examination, you might need a blepharoplasty alone, a browlift alone, or a blepharoplasty AND a browlift. Ptosis repair is also part of the treatment plan if needed. That's why you need a thorough consultation. Posting your picture would have helped in giving you some suggestions as to what treatment you would be appropriate. I wish you the best.

Arnold Almonte, DO
Roseville Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 35 reviews

Heavy eyelids run in the family

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Often heavy eyelids do run in the family. A photograph would be helpful to comment on. 24 years old seems rather young for upper eyelid surgery so unless the overhanging skin is interfering with your vision by means of it covering part of the visual field, or the skin is sitting on the eyelashes, you can wait until it becomes a medical issue. If your eyebrow elevating muscles (frontalis) are strong enough, they can usually compensate for the excess skin for a quite a while, by you automatically raising them a little to lift the skin up off the eyelids.
Dynamic examination is required by an oculoplastic or ophthalmic plastic reconstructive surgeon, who is an eye doctor (ophthalmologist) especially trained in eyelid assessment and surgery.

Jane Olver, MBBS, FRCS
London Oculoplastic Surgeon
4.3 out of 5 stars 6 reviews

Do you need blepharoplasty?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
It's impossible to make a recommendation with any specificity without seeing photos or meeting someone in consultation. 24 is relatively young for blepharoplasty but this is not unheard of. Your best bet would be to seek consultation(s) with surgeons in your area to determine if you are in fact a candidate for eyelid surgery. If you have a droopy eyelid in addition to excess eyelid skin you might require ptosis repair which is a procedure that is distinct from an eyelid "lift." I hope this answer is helpful.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Eyelid surgery

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
You need to post your photos to get an informed opinion or even better arrange a consultation. Droopy eyelids can have many components including issues with the brow and excess skin of the upper eyes and issues with the internal muscles of the upper eyelid. Different surgical techniques and non surgical options are available to help. It depends on what your priorities are and what you wish to achieve. The most important is whether you have ptosis and internal issues with the muscles of the eyes causing ptosis, whether removing the excess skin will drop the brow and whether the brow can be lifted to help the hooding. There are many options and you are best to arrange a consultation.

Gary L. Ross, MBChB, FRCS
Manchester Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 177 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.