Can I Have Blepharoplasty Surgery if I Have a Mild Case of Conjunctivitis?

I have had my surgery scheduled for 2 months now and contracted conjunctivitis 3 weeks ago, I am due to go in for surgery in 2 weeks time, I was wondering if this is advisable? The worst of the virus is over, but its still taking so long to heal 100%.

Treat conjunctivitis before blepharoplasty

It is probably best to see an ophthalmologist prior to undergoing elective cosmetic surgery to make sure there is no ongoing infection in your eyes and have them treat any clinical or subclinical infection before undergoing the blepharoplasty procedure.  

Caution is the word with eye infection

Anytime you have any type of eyelid infection or inflammation it is always wise to forego ANY type of elective procedure until it has cleared and your eye is healed 100%.

Robert Brueck, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Timing Cosmetic Eyelid Surgery after Conjunctivitis

Hi 812064anon in qatar,

As other plastic surgeons have stated, one should avoid elective cosmetic eyelid surgery during active infection or inflammation of the eyes. Generally, allowing several weeks between the conjunctivitis and eyelid plastic surgery may be sufficient. If you haven't already, you should see an ophthalmologist and review with your eyelid plastic surgeon your current condition. Only after a comprehensive evaluation can he/she help determine appropriate options for you. Best of luck.

Dr. Chaboki

Houtan Chaboki, MD
Washington DC Facial Plastic Surgeon

Infection and Blepharoplasty

I would wait until the infection is cleared.  This does not matter if this is viral or bacterial.  You and your surgeon should want the optimal outcome.  

Dr. ES

Delay eyelid surgery for conjunctivtis

Conjunctivitis, or an infection of the eye, is very contagious, though easily treated. If you worked in my office I would treat your infection and send you home so you didn't spread it, and if a patient, surgery is out of the question until the conjunctivitis has cleared.

peterejohnsonmd

Good idea to seek the advice of a general ophthalmologist.

Most cases of conjunctivitis are due to viruses and are self-limited.  That means medications are not needed.  In fact, the tobradex recommended is usually not helpful and can actually cause more irritation.  Patching is also not recommended.  So be careful about well meaning advice you might read on the internet!  

Now with surgery 2 months away, will your conjunctivitis clear in time for surgery.  Well if it is from a virus that answer is usually no problem.  However, there are some viral syndromes that hang on.  Also not every conjunctivitis is viral, some are bacterial.  

In particular, you live in Qatar where trachoma is very common.  This is a common cause of conjunctivitis where you live and is caused by an organism called Chlamydia trachomatis.  It is actually one of the leading causes of blindness in Qatar when left untreated.  Do you have this?  Only your local ophthalmologist will be able to determine this.  The condition is quite treatable when caught early.  So I encourage you to be seen by an ophthalmologist immediately.  With any luck, your issue will clear up and you will be able to have surgery.  However, follow the advice of your treating ophthalmologist regarding having or postponing surgery.

If you have an active infection you should not have eyelid surgery

If you have an active infection you should not have eyelid surgery. The question is whether two more weeks would be enough time for the infection to clear. In general, 5 weeks from the start of conjunctivitis would be ample time. I would certainly ask your Ophthalmologist to check whether your infection has resolved before having surgery .

Good luck

J. Timothy Heffernan, MD
Seattle Oculoplastic Surgeon

Mild Case of Conjunctivitis

This ois a complication of the blepharoplasty operation. Seek immediate care from the surgeon. I recommend patching for 24 hours and Rx eye meds like Tobrodex. Best of luck. 

Should I have an Eyelid Lift while having an Infection

Regarding: 'Can I Have Blepharoplasty Surgery if I Have a Mild Case of Conjunctivitis?
I have had my surgery scheduled for 2 months now and contracted conjunctivitis 3 weeks ago, I am due to go in for surgery in 2 weeks time, I was wondering if this is advisable? The worst of the virus is over, but its still taking so long to heal 100%
."

Absolutely NOT. Unless the operation MUST be done to save life or function, you should NOT have an operation in the face of a known infection. Doing so could be risky.

Dr. Peter Aldea