Blepharoplasty by a Certified Plastic Surgeon or Certified Opthalmologist?

There are no certified opthalmic plastic surgeons in my region? So which one should I go to for consultation for my lower eyelid surgery?

Blepharoplasty surgeon

Board certified plastic surgeons, board certified ophthalmologists, and board certified facial plastic surgeon can all perform an excellent blepharoplasty. Look for pictures of their previous work, talk to previous patients, make sure the patients look natural, and you feel comfortable with the surgeon.

Experienced eyelid surgeon is best choice

You have a choice of a facial plastic surgeon, plastic surgeon, or opthalmologist to seek out for consultation. While all of these surgeons have qualifications, some opthalmogists (not opthalmic plastic surgeons) rarely or infrequently perform blepharoplasty. Therefore inquire as to the frequency as well as techniques that your surgeon would use, along with some examples of his or her blepharoplasty and browlift results, if that is another of your concerns. Experience counts.

Harrison C. Putman III, MD
Peoria Facial Plastic Surgeon

Blepharoplasty by Plastic Surgeon or opthamologist

There are plastic surgeons and opthomologits who perform beautiful work. And others who don't. Start your search by looking at  lots and lots of photos. Check the education and training of any surgeon you are considering and then have consultations with several different physicians to be certain they understand your goals. 

Michael Law, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Eyelid surgeons

Depends where your region is. I am sure there is an ophthalmic plastic surgeon somewhere near you. Alternatively a facial plastic surgeon or general plastic surgeon should be able to do an adequate job as well.

Chris Thiagarajah, MD
Denver Oculoplastic Surgeon

Go to an Oculoplastic surgeon

If possible I would seek out several opinions, make sure you are comfortable with who you go with. They should explain complications, as well as what they hope to achieve with outcomes, ask to see before and afters and if the surgeon's perceptions meet your expectations then go with them. Training backround may vary, so I would go less with that and more on the merit of the individual surgeon.

In general, many Oculoplastic surgeons are trained in facelifting and many other facial procedures but have a strong focus on eyelids and dealing with complications.  I do agree with previous posts, go to someone with experience and focus on the procedure.

Robert Schwarcz, MD
New York Oculoplastic Surgeon

Best Surgeon for Blepharoplasty

Facial plastic surgeons, general plastic surgeons, and oculoplastic surgeons may have the experience to perform this surgery. As with any surgery, it is important to ask your surgeon about his/her personal experience with a given procedure. Also, review some results and ask to speak to former patients.

Sam Most, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Ophthalmologist and Plastic Surgeons can both be good at Blepharoplasty

Both specialists in eye and in plastic surgeon can be good competent Blepharoplasty surgeons. It is more important to evaluate how many the doctor doers, what techniques he/she uses, and be able to see many examples of the work and speak to patients. These are good guidelines but the exact specialty is not as important.

Andrew Jacono, MD
Great Neck Facial Plastic Surgeon

Best results for lower eyelid surgery

It is difficult to determine who is the best physician to be performing your lower lid blepharoplasty based on which specialty they are trained by. I know and work with some outstanding plastic surgeons who perform beautiful breast work but, rarely perform lower lid blepharoplasty. I would suggest seeking a board certified Plastic, Facial Plastic, or Oculoplastic surgeon and asking to see their work.

Philip S. Schoenfeld, MD
Chevy Chase Facial Plastic Surgeon

Most expansive knowledge of eyelid anatomy and procedures

There are excellent physicians in many fields of medicine that can provide stellar results with the eyelids. Ocular Plastic physicians (www.ASOPRS.com) are the only physicians who train exclusively on eyelid procedures during their fellowship training. These doctors first complete a residency in Ophthalmology.

After this, they complete a fellowship in Ophthalmic Plastic and Reconstructive surgery. These physicians work hand in hand with their colleagues on complex eyelid and facial issues. Most important is to know your surgeon's credentials; review his before / after photos; speak with his patients; and have knowledge of his surgical center. Best of Luck.

Mark Berkowitz, MD
Sterling Heights Oculoplastic Surgeon

Blepharoplasty By Plastic Surgeon or Opthalmologist

Expert Eyelid surgeons include Board Certified Plastic Surgeons, Facial Plastic Surgeons (ENT), and ophthalmology. There is no such thing as a "eyelid fellowship". The most critical decision to be made in achieving the best plastic surgical result is picking the most experienced and talented, that is the best, plastic surgeon possible. Too often, patients choose a physician based on a catchy ad, the brand name of a technique, the basis of one or two before and after photos, or their web site’s search engine ranking. These criteria will not find the most experienced and talented plastic surgeon. See the below link on how I would research the identity of the best plastic surgeon for your eyelid surgery.
#BestSpecialtyforBlepharoplasty

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS