Blepharoplasty or canthoplasty? (or something else?) (photo)

I don't know what the best option for me is, I have sagging upper eyelids and a droopy eye shape, I would like to change both (the eyelids and eye shape), i'm still young (19) and i don't know that much about either procedure so I don't know what to do, i want my eyes to look bigger, more feminine and less tired-looking, people tend to think i am much older and I believe it is due to my sagging eyelids and droopy eye shape

Doctor Answers 5

Canthoplasty: Maybe

Thanks for the picture.  You may be a candidate for a canthoplasty.  At your age this is unlikely.  Secondly, if you are a candidate for a canthoplasty this will make your eyes appear smaller.

Dr. ES

I would recommend surgery based on your pictures

You have beautiful eyes and surgery is not indicated based on your pictures. Please get in person consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon. Your full face picture would have been helpful. 

Kamran Khoobehi, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 122 reviews

I would be very careful what you look for.

An improved outcome from eyelid surgery is only one of the possible outcomes from surgery.  Canthal surgery is not cosmetic surgery.  It is a reconstructive procedure that can change your appearance in unpredictable ways.  You do have a negative canthal tilt that is related to the shape of the bony orbital rim.  If I were examining you, I would want to look very carefully at the position of your eyebrow to determine if a forehead lift is indicated.  Also it is important to study the rest of the face to decide if the cheek needs to be lifted.

Kenneth D. Steinsapir, MD
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 26 reviews

Droopy eyes.

Your eyes are normal for you. You look handsome--leave them alone. No surgery!  U can always find someone to operate. 

Toby Mayer, MD
Beverly Hills Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 34 reviews

Blepharoplasty or canthoplasty? (or something else?) (photo)

Hi Katie
You have what is called a 'negative canthal tilt" where the outer corner of your eye is a few millimeters below the level of the inner corner. In normal eyelids this is reversed and in asian eyelids it is placed even higher. A Canthoplasty will help reposition the eyelid corner. But a one on one clinical examination by a Plastic Surgeon is necessary to decide what additional procedures may benefit you.Hope this helps

Naveen Somia, MBBS, PhD, FRACS
Sydney Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 73 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.