Bleeding at Incision Site

I had breast reduction surgery 4 weeks ago and have noticed that under one breast I have a crusty spot where the incision comes together,is that normal, also I noticed tonight after my shower that my incision leading up to my nipple is bleeding and looks to be a little open is this normal , what can I do about it?

Breast reduction incisions at 4 weeks

The bleeding and crusting you describe along your incision lines is most likely okay. The crusting where the incisions come together can occur when there is tension pulling on the incision. If there is any separation along the incisions, the most common location for this is at the T where the incisions meet (like you describe). I recommend applying antibiotic ointment to any open wounds (crusting or bleeding sites) until they are healed. I also recommend close follow-up with your surgeon until you are healed. If there is something else going on, such as infection, he or she can act on it early so that you have the best result possible.

Incision Breakdown Can Be Expected

It’s not unusual for patients to experience small areas of incisional breakdown following breast reduction surgery. This often occurs where the vertical and transverse limbs of the closure meet.
Breakdown results in raw areas of tissue which form a layer of granulation tissue.Eventually the skin grows over the top of this tissue.Until the skin covers this area it’s prone to bleed with dressing changes.In fact bleeding indicates that the wound is healthy.
When this situation arises it’s appropriate to treat the area with dressing changes.If infection is present antibiotics should be utilized as well.When this approach is utilized most wounds heal nicely and rarely is scar revision necessary.
If you have bleeding along your incision, it’s important to consult your plastic surgeon.Your surgeon should be able to formulate a treatment plan that addresses your concerns.

Breast Reduction Healing Issues?

Superficial wound healing problems and/or discharge are not uncommon after breast reduction surgery. These usually go on to heal without further treatment and without detracting from the long-term surgical results.

I would suggest continued follow-up with your plastic surgeon.

Bleeding at Incision Site

BEST TO TO ALWAYS CONTACT YOUR TREATING SURGEON. Otherwise, sounds like a minor issue of wound separation that with local care can resolve on its own. From Miami

Delayed healing

Sometimes there is some delayed healing at the incision after a breast reduction especially at the "T" of an acnhor incision. This usually goes on to heal with few if any problems.

Bleeding at Incision Site

It is not uncommon at all to have some crusting and bleeding along your incisions after breast reduction.  Keep antibiotic ointment and a clean dressing over these areas, and they should heal up nicely.

Amy T. Bandy, DO, FACS
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Breast Reduction - Bleeding at Site

Hi heavy79,

It's actually pretty common to have spots of bleeding and crusting at the incision sites after breast reductions (and many other procedures, actually).  You should, of course, be in touch with your own plastic surgeon about this but, in general, this is not something I would be overly concerned about at this early stage.

It may take a few days or even weeks to heal up but even that is not necessarily too much of a concern.  In fact it usually heals up surprisingly well.

It's a different story (or may be) if there is an implant involved, such as after breast enlargement, breast implants and a lift, etc.  But for most of the procedures in which this does occur (eg, tummy tucks, etc) it's usually not much more than a blip on the recovery.

I hope that this helps, and good luck,

Dr. E

Slow healing after breast reduction

Depending on the pattern used for your breast reduction surgery, healing can take longer than expected. The 'T' incision for breast reduction is notorious for slower healing and occasionally and open area where all the corners meet under the breast. We encourage soap and water cleaning and light cover until the areas close up. All will heal though do keep in touch with your surgeon.

peterejohnsonmd

Drainage 1 month after a breast reduction

The open area at the lower part of your breast incision is a very common place for some minor wound separation. There can be some drainage as well. Sometimes, deeply place sutures in this area protrude through the skin causing the oozing and opening.

You should contact your plastic surgeon and have him/her check out your situation.

Steven Turkeltaub, MD

Healing after breast reduction

This can all be a normal part of the healing process as breast reductions have long incisions to heal. From what you describe local wound care with antibiotic ointment should be enough to heal the areas. It is always advisable to see your surgeon for an exam.