I'm up 8-10 pounds after liposuction on my tummy 9 days post op. Is this normal?

Thank you for your question.  Yes, it is very normal to be a bit up in weight especially after liposuction.  The surgery itself involves injecting a large amount of fluid into the liposuction areas, and not all of it is suctioned out with the fat during surgery.  Plus the body's normal response to surgery is to retain fluid and swell up in the very early stages of wound healing.  Most of this fluid will go down within a few weeks after liposuction, but I always tell my patients that they MUST be patient when waiting for final results.  No matter what anyone tells you, it takes anywhere from 2-3 months to really start to see your final results from liposuction (during this time you may have instances when you swell up and down and you may feel some hard spots or bumps below the skin -- don't worry, it will go away, your body is healing!).

Remember, liposuction is NOT a weight loss surgery.  I tell my liposuction patients to never step on a scale at any time after liposuction.  You will likely not lose any significant amount of weight.  Liposuction is a "look better" surgery.  As long as you look better in the mirror, fit in smaller clothes, and people notice that you look great, surgery was a success!!!  Best of luck!

Post Op Swelling- Tummy Tuck

It is very common to experience swelling and water retention during the early healing phase.  Discuss your progress with your surgeon as you heal.

Robert E. Zaworski, MD

Weight Up after liposuction on my tummy 9 days post op. Is this normal?

Congratulations on having undergone the  body contouring procedure. Water retention is quite normal after surgery; it is the way our bodies respond to a stressor. You will find that this will "normalize' over the course of the next week. Best wishes for an outcome that you will be very happy with.

Tummy Tuck - Post Op Swelling?

Thank you for your question. You should expect to have swelling for three to six months following tummy tuck surgery. This fluid retention will cause a false elevation of your body weight. Use of a properly fitted compression garment will help decrease the length and severity of the post-operative swelling. As the swelling decreases, the contour of your abdomen, flanks, and hips will dramatically improve. Please follow your plastic surgeons specific advice regarding your level of physical activity. Hope this helps and good luck with your recovery.

Up 8-10 pounds after a tummy tuck

HI Pink Blonde,

It is not unusual to gain weight after a tummy tuck due to infusion of  fluids and the surgery itself. 8-10 pounds is a bit high, but not unheard of. You should start mobilizing the fluid soon ( that means that you will urinate it out) , but if not, talk to your plastic surgeon. If you are very uncomfortable or are having difficulty breathing, you should call him/ her right away.
Dr. Christine Rodgers

Weight gain post liposuction?

8-10 lbs is a bit high but this is not unusual to gain weight. This is usually due to fluid shifting.  I would be curious to know how much was removed in terms of volume.
Hope this helps.  Good luck.
Dr Vasisht

Bhupesh Vasisht, MD
Voorhees Plastic Surgeon

Water retention after liposuction

After surgery your body has a predictable "stress reaction".  There is swelling and water retention in the area of surgery, but there is also water retention throughout the body.  Stress hormones and metabolic changes cause the body to retain fluids.  It can easily be noticed in tighter rings.  These changes are natural and unavoidable.  Anything to try to reverse them may cause significant problems.  Patience is key and the body will return to normal balance with time.

Samuel Beran, MD

Water Weight

Dear Pinkblonde1971,

Do not worry about the change in weight. This is all water weight. Clearly, no one put fat into you, and so you would realize this could only be explained by postoperative swelling. It will diurese itself off with no assistance. You should see 85-90% of your result by the six-week mark after surgery.

I hope this has been helpful.

Robert D. Wilcox, MD

Robert D. Wilcox, MD

Swelling After Abdominoplasty

It is normal to have #swelling after your #tummytuck surgery.  There is an accumulation of fluid in your abdomen.  This swelling will improve over the course of three months, six months, up to a year after surgery.  

If you have concerns, please contact your #BoardCertified #PlasticSurgeon so you may be examined in person.

It can happen

Temporary weight gain after any surgery is normal. It is because of fluid retention as body goes on to recover. It goes away in two weeks.