How to know what is a doctor's specialty? No "jack of all trades, master of none" (photos)

Reading raving reviews vs. negative reviews, I think some of the problems I see is mastery. For example; one doctors has many good reviews in Rhinoplasty and bad ones with lip augmentation. He seems to do more nose jobs than lips (over 100 pics of nose jobs vs. 5 lip augmentation). How can I find a PS that does liquid facelifts all day long and not just once in a while? Thank you.

How to find the right doctor

You have asked in excellent but challenging question.  I agree that the more experience a Dr. has with a particular procedure the more likely they are to understand the nuances and fine details of that procedure.  As liquid facelifts are done using injectables, you may try using the websites for the companies that makes the injectable products as a resource to help find some of the biggest users.  However this does not ensure expertise.  I would interview some physicians, review old photographs with them to demonstrate what it is you're trying to accomplish, and move ahead with treatment With someone who you feel understands your concerns and shares your vision.

Nashville Oculoplastic Surgeon

Physician Specialties - how to find the one for you

That's a great question and a pretty tough one to respond to. Physicians will have particular talents and interests that lead them to become focal specialists.

Certainly photos are a good indication, but many physicians don't post all their photos and some are not good with a camera so there are likely hundreds of thousands of great results that the general public never sees.

Although it's a laborious process, visiting a practice and viewing their patient results is one way to see more of what they do. Many patients won't give permission for their photos to be posted online, but will agree to "in house" photo sharing. 

As you noted, the doctor who posts 100's of nose surgery photos is probably not the one to go to for lip augmentation. But it's highly unlikely you'll be able to call a practice and hear a receptionist tell you to go someplace else for what's offered by that doctor or group.

Board certified plastic surgeons and board certified dermatologists have that extra training that gives them an edge in dealing with skin - so go there first in your search.

There are some physicians who do become experts at fillers or lasers who are outside their specialties, but it's easier to start with a defined list.

The best source is always someone you know who has had work done with a particular physician.

Rebecca Fitzgerald, MD

How to know what is a doctor's specialty? No "jack of all trades, master of none"

The best way is to check his/her board certification.  The attached link provides more information.  I hope this helps.

Timothy R. Miller, MD

First, always see a board certified plastic surgeon to ensure the highest credentials and education. Second, look at the photos on the website and ask around. Don't be afraid to ask someone who looks beautiful to you what he or she does to look so great. You'll often get the best referral this way.

Richard Zienowicz, MD
Providence Plastic Surgeon

How to know what is a doctor's specialty?

Thank you for your question and for sharing you photographs.  As with any procedure it is important to select a surgeon based on appropriate research and an in-person evaluation.  You should feel comfortable with the physician, understand the alternatives, benefits, and risks of any proposed procedure, and should be able to either speak with prior patients as surgeon references, or see photographic evidence of their work.  I am attaching a link with other useful information to consider. 

Liquid Facelifts

Finding the right dermatologist to perform a liquid facelift may seem challenging. You need to consult someone who injects all day, every day, routinely.  Not someone who operates all day and rarely injects. Best, Dr. Green

Choosing The Right Plastic Surgeon

To determine what a doctor's specialty I would advise to go look at before and after pictures, look up various doctors and read on their credentials, license and certification. Check reviews on independent web sites, not just the doctor's web site, and also reputation by "word of mouth" referral is always good too.

Edward E. Dickerson, IV, MD
Fayetteville Facial Plastic Surgeon

The skill of the injector is paramount to obtaining good results.

The skill of the injector is paramount to obtaining good results. A skilled injector can maximize the effect of the product by placing it appropriately and efficiently so that your dollar is well spent. The injector should have a keen eye for which areas are to be treated, and an aesthetic sense for how to improve the area. Seeking a board certified plastic surgeon who is a member of the American Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgeons (ASAPS) is a good first step. Experienced midlevel providers (nurse practitioner or physician assistant) working with these physicians are specifically trained should also be safe. While these procedures do not replace a facelift, they may be able to delay one.

Richard O. Gregory, MD

Facelift vs. Liquid Facelift | Surgery vs. Non Surgical

It sounds like you are looking for a master injector.  This may or may not be a plastic surgeon.  There are many skilled injectors who may or may not be surgeons.

• Check credentials, license and certification
  • Check reviews on independent web sites, not just the doctor's web site
  • Check malpractice history
  • Check Better Business Bureau
  • Check reputation by "word of mouth" referral

To be sure, see two or more board-certified providers in your area for a complete evaluation to make sure you are a good candidate and that it is safe for you to have treatment.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS

Finding the right doctor

That is a very difficult question to answer. Very few plastic surgeons spend the whole day doing injectibles only. The other problem is that there are many other doctors not necessarily plastic surgeons and nurses doing injectibles, and some may have very good technique. Many plastic surgeons don't post all of their post results of injectibles because patients usually don't return until they are ready for more product. Ask the physician and the office how many are done each year or month. Word of mouth is a great tool for seeing results if you know of anyone in your area.

Christopher Kelly, MD
Aventura Plastic Surgeon