Should I get a breast lift or not? (photos)

I am scheduled for a breast lift plus implants, Natrelle Style 15 somewhere between 400-450cc's in May. I am 5'10", 145 pounds, BWD 14 and an athletic mother of breastfed triplets. My PS and I discussed lifting my larger breast (left) and possibly the other also. I will be getting two different sizes to help with asymmetry. Anyone think I could achieve a nice result without a lift? Concerned about the vertical scar.

Lift with or without implants

Hello dear, thanks for your question and provided information as well.. The breasts may lose their elasticity and firmness which can be caused by different factors such as pregnancy, massive weight loss, lactation and aging. To reaffirm the breasts and restore the natural look your surgeon can perform a mastopexy or breast lift with augmentation such as silicone implants, you will get very nice results, contact a board certified plastic surgeon, I recommend you soft cohesive silicone implants about 350 cc's you will look pretty and they will be perky.

Patients who goes to a consultation for drooping breasts (ptosis) or volume loss after pregnancy (pseudoptosis) almost always have one very important question. "Can my drooping be corrected with just implants or do I need a lift".

Implants alone will correct drooping when:
  1. Breast drooping is mild
  2. The nipple is still near the center breast and does not point downward
  3. There is some visible skin beneath the nipple/areola when looking at the breasts straight on.
  4. The patient is okay with being at least a cup size larger
A breast lift (with or without an implant) is better when:
  1. Breast drooping is moderate or severe
  2. The nipple is at the bottom of the breast or points downward
  3. There is no visible skin under the nipple/areola when looking at the breasts straight on.
  4. The patient is already a C or D cup breast size and doesn't want to be larger
  5. The areola is too large and the patient wants it reduced
I also show the patient photographs of a spectrum of breast scar present after a breast lift in order to check their tolerance for this scar. Most patients are surprised how little the scar shows and are okay with proceeding. If the patient really needs a breast lift, but is concerned about the scars, I will suggest they wait on surgery. In time the breast appearance problems will usually outweigh their concern about the scars.

I use implants in combination with a lift when:
  1. The patient wants to be larger in addition to being less droopy
  2. The patient desires to maintain projection and roundness of the breast mound
  3. The drooping is severe..... I recommend to see a board certified plastic surgeon for a personal evaluation and also to talk about your goals. Good luck :)

Should I get a breast lift or not?

You have very nice normal breast anatomy and a slight asymmetry which is perfectly normal.  A dual plane breast augmentation placing the implants under your muscle should be all that she need for an excellent result.   The larger lower breast asymmetry will persist and may be a bit more noticeable once the breast are larger.  Personally I would wait to see the results of your breast augmentation and only consider a nipple lift if you're unhappy with that result.

Your upcoming surgery

given your photos, it does not look like you need a breast lift, nor does it seem that you need two different sizes because it does not look like you have much or any asymmetry in both breast sizes i would recommend a teardrop implant if you are looking for a very natural look, or a round implant for more accentuated cleavage in the upper pole. an in depth consultation would obviously determine what your best options are, but i would definitely revisit with your ps to make sure that you feel comfortable with his recommendation.

Edward J. Bednar, MD
Charlotte Plastic Surgeon

Breast lift?

You look like you could avoid a lift. I would probably recommend a dual plane dissection and your implant size for your height seems about right. Good luck.

I don't think so

I see no reason why you would require a lift.  Your breasts are beautiful and everything seems to be in its right place.  I am glad that your implant selection seems to be guided by your breast base width.  I would make sure your implants are placed under the muscle and would consider a shaped device in you depending on what your goals are and the look you desire.  I also don't think you need to worry about different sized implants to make up for any asymmetry- it doesn't appear you are too off and my fear is that if you choose implants that have different base widths, that may make you look more asymmetric than the slight volume discrepancy.  Hope this helps.

Should I get a breast lift or not?

Thank you for your question.  Based on your photos, I don't think you need a breast lift, especially with the size implants that you're getting.  Be sure to get several different opinions / consultations before moving forward with surgery.  Also, be sure to consult with an experienced plastic surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery.  Good luck!

Zachary Farris, MD, FACS

Just looking at your photos, you don't seem to need a lift. Your nipples look like they sit about the fold of your breasts. You might want to go back tom your doctor and ask about the lift.

Connie Hiers, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon