Can a hernia return after pregnancy?

I had a baby 10 weeks ago and I'm now experiencing pain just above my belly button, could my hernia have come back?

Umbilical Hernia

Hello and thank you for reaching out. Yes, a hernia, more specifically an umbilical hernia, is extremely common after pregnancy. If you feel as if you have one, please schedule an appointment with your primary care physician or general surgeon. Best Wishes. 

Recurrent hernia after pregnancy

A hernia is a defect in the tough fascial covering of the abdominal wall.  This allows intraabdominal contents to protrude.  If the contents can be returned to the abdominal cavity (usually with pressure), it is called a reducible hernia.  A hernia where contents cannot be returned to the abdominal cavity is called an incarcerated hernia.  Occasionally the blood flow to the abdominal organs in the incarcerated hernia can be reduced or cut off, which can lead to serious health consequences.  Hernias can occur at naturally weak areas of the abdominal wall, such as the groin or belly button, or can occur as a result of weakening of the fascia after surgery.  Given that the fascia is already weakened in the area of a hernia repair, it is not uncommon for the hernia to recur, particularly when placed under stress, such as during pregnancy.  See your board certified ob/gyn, general surgeon or plastic surgeon for a physical examination.

-Any information in the publications, messages, postings, articles on the website should not be considered a substitute for consultation with a board-certified plastic surgeon to address individual medical needs. Your particular facts and circumstances will determine the plastic surgery treatment which is most appropriate for you.

Kimberly Lu, MD
Issaquah Plastic Surgeon

Hernia After Pregnancy is Common

Yes, an umbilical or midline hernia is common after pregnancy. See your gynecologist, general surgeon of plastic surgeon for an exam to diagnose and recommend treatment if needed.

Can a hernia return after pregnancy?

Yes, a hernia can certainly re occur,  specially after any event ( including pregnancy) that increases intra-abdominal pressure.  Follow-up with your physicians for an accurate assessment. Best wishes.

Hernia

Hello and thank you for your question. I agree with the other MD's your hernia can can come back. See your doctor to confirm if your hernia has returned. 

Best regards

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Hernia

Yes, you could have a hernia again. During pregnancy your tissues stretch which can cause an umbilical hernia to form. I would discuss this with your doctor.

Hernia

Yes, a pregnancy could cause a hernia to return due to the stretching of your tissue. I would suggest let your gyn doctor examine you.

Connie Hiers, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon