What will happen if I leave it?? (photo)

I have significant separation of the stomach muscles and an overhang of skin of the lower part of my stomach. I have followed a good cardio and abdominal exercise routine but muscles have not repaired at all. I have been advised I am a candidate for surgery. Will anything happen due to the separated muscles if I don't have the surgery! Will I have any medical problems without full muscle support!

Tummy Tuck

It is my pleasure to answer your question. I recommend you to post pictures of your tummy so i can give you my orientations.

What will happen if I leave it??

It's impossible to assess accurately without photos. Generally speaking, the strength and closeness of the abdominal muscles maintain the normal position of the intra- abdominal contents. Without repairing what you describe - it's possible to develop a ventral hernia- which could be a very dangerous condition. I would seek immediate evaluation by a BC PS.

What will happen if I leave it??

Thank you for your question. If you have excess fat and skin tissue in any other parts of your body then different operations can be also performed in order to achieve a better result. Liposculpture, arm lift, neck lift, tight lift and Butt Reshaping surgeries can also be combined with Tummy Tuck operation.

Bulent Cihantimur, MD
Turkey Plastic Surgeon

No obligation

You go on your life without any surgery on your abdomen; the abdominoplasty has only cosmetic, not functional, goals, being therefore an elective decision on patient´s side.

Alejandro Nogueira, MD
Spain Plastic Surgeon

Stretched abdominal muscles

If you are speaking of diastasis of abdominal wall that is typically seen after pregnancy, then no nothing bad will happen to you health wise. 

Sometimes patients will feel that they don't have enough core strength and/or have back pain due to poor core strength.