Would I qualify for a tummy tuck or liposuction?

I'm 19 and never had kids. I have had a relatively healthy life but I put on weight like there is no tomorrow. My stomach is my main concern. I realize that not many surgeons would perform this on a young candidate like myself, but I would like some information about it.

TT vs Liposuction

At your age and having never undergone a pregnancy, it is unlikely that you need a tummy tuck.  You may be a candidate for liposuction.  
Please see a board certified plastic surgeon for a consultation.

Aloha,

Shim Ching, MD

Honolulu Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck or liposuction

A tummy tuck or liposuction is not for weight loss. However, either may be suitable for you if you have unwanted fat in your stomach, and it’s located under the skin rather than around your internal organs (visceral fat). Visceral fat can’t be removed with either technique and requires diet and exercise to eliminate. Loose skin can also be removed with a tummy tuck.

At your age, you may want to seek the advice of a dietician or personal trainer before considering plastic surgery. Because you’re young, your body will respond more favourably to healthy lifestyle changes.

Wt loss is probably your best answer...

Hi! I know is seems like Lipo is the answer, but it probably is better if you loose the weight-- and when you are closer to your goal wt, a small amount of sculpting can be done-- with Lipo or cool sculpting. The best thing to do is really work on this.
Good Luck.

Anne Taylor, MD
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Honest Answer

Hello Anna,
At a younger  age your body should be able to metabolize faster then say a women over 35 yrs old making it easier to lose the weight gained. I would recommend trying to loose as much weight as possible by diet and exerciser  to help the structure of your muscles prior to  any major surgery like an Abdominoplasty.  If you continue to stay healthy and reach your goal weight and still experience unhappiness with your body, I would seek a Professional Consultation with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon regarding either the Liposuction or an Abdominoplasty procedures. 

Hedieh Arbabzadeh, MD
Fresno Plastic Surgeon

Options

Anna
your best option is to try to lose as much weight as possible, and then maintain it before considering surgery. At your age you should be able to lose weight and tone your muscles so surgery may not even be necessary! Check out the link below to an article I wrote about diet and exercise before plastic surgery.  Good luck!

Robert M. Tornambe, MD

Tummy Tuck or Liposuction?

Thank you very much for your question.

Unfortunately, without a picture, it is difficult to comment on a procedure that may be best for you.  Liposuction is typically performed to remove fat in somebody that doesn't have extra (or has minimal extra) skin.  A tummy tuck is typically performed in somebody who has laxity of their abdominal wall muscles, and more extra skin to be removed.

I recommend you visit with a plastic surgeon who will evaluate you, and come up with a great plan based on your goals.  You can find local plastic surgeons by using RealSelf, or the ASPS website at plasticsurgery.org.  Best of luck!

Daniel Krochmal, MD
Chicago General Surgeon

Abdominoplasty vs. Liposuction

Liposuction and a tummy-tuck serve different purposes. If you are happy with the tightness of your belly skin, but you have a small area of resistant fat, then liposuction would be great. However, if you are thin but have extra skin, stretch marks, or need your muscles tightened, then a tummy-tuck would be best. Both are outpatient procedures so you can go home the same day. Either way, before you know it, you can have the belly you are dreaming of! Best wishes!

Tummy Tuck or Liposuction

Neither a Tummy Tuck nor  liposuction are useful as weight loss procedures.  In order to get a good result from this type of surgery, you should be close to your ideal body weight.  Best wishes.

Your age is not a contraindication to tummy tuck surgery.  However, photographs or in person evaluation would be necessary to provide you with meaningful advice.  If your abdominal wall appearance is of concern to, I would suggest that you seek consultation with board-certified plastic surgeons to discuss concerns, goals, and options. Best to undergo abdominal wall  contouring surgery once you have reached your long-term stable weight.  I hope this, and the attached link, helps. Best wishes.

Thanks your sharing your question.

It is hard to evaluate without pictures, however if you have extra skin is when we check if necessary a Tummy Tuck.

Based on my experiencie the skin can contract after Liposuction. (we have to evaluate with pictures)

Find a Board certified plastic surgeon with plenty experiences.

Dr. Manuel Diaz

Manuel Diaz, MD