Would the following nose surgeries be a good idea (please say why/why not, please elaborate and give info/advice). (photos)

1. Alar Base Reduction: I'm worried since I'm African that I might end up with a nose that looks pinched and makes my face off-balanced. 2. Osteotomy (Wide Nose Bone): I'm just worried that if I narrow the bone, since the bottom of my nose is a bit wide, I might end up with a bad nose that looks like an upside down "T" (ㅗ). Especially if I do not do Alar. 3. Tip Work: I don't think my nose is that bad but it's just undefined and short. I'm scared if I get it done my tip will look oddly small..

Rhinoplasty candidate

Dear hansloll, A rhinoplasty would nicely balance your facial aesthetics. An in office consultation aided with digital imaging can show you the proposed results taking into consideration your nasal anatomy and skin thickness. Osteotomies will narrow the bridge, the tip can be refined as well as the nostril base. I would not be worried about your above listed concerns in the hands of a skilled surgeon who performs ethnic rhinoplasty procedures you should have a very nice result. Best regards, Michael V. Elam, M.D.

Rhinoplasty procedure to narrow a wide nose

A rhinoplasty procedure can accomplish narrowing the wide Nasal bones and upper lateral cartilages of the nose with osteotomies. this will accomplish narrowing the bridge line. The tip of the nose is very thick skin, so I tip rhinoplasty is going to help very much in that location. An   alar-plasty can narrow wide nostrils to match the new bridge line. For many examples of narrowing a wide nose, please see the video and the link below

Rhinoplasty will certainly be able to reshape and create more definition to the tip of your nose. One thing to keep in mind though is that there is a limitation to the amount of tip refinement you can achieve (how small/narrow) because of the thickness of your skin. The challenge with thick skin is that even if definition is created to the nose and cartilage underneath the skin, these changes will not show through the skin.  In these cases additional support and structure is necessary to create definition in the tip of the nose.  Using grafts made from your own cartilage will be the best approach for a natural-appearing, lasting result.  

Donald B. Yoo, MD