A Black Dot Appeared on my Raised Mole, It Started to Hurt and Now There is Pus and Inflamation?

I have a black raised mole by my lips, i am dark skinned and have not experienced any changes on it ever. A while ago a black dot appeared on it, followed by a hair which I removed. Then it started to hurt a lot and then I woke uo and it was swollen and had pus in it. What should I do? The dermatologist wants to remove it and send it to the lab, but he says because of my age and skin color its probably nothing, but I don't want to lose my mole if its probably nothing. Could it be serious? Melanoma?

Doctor Answers 4

Should I remove this mole

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Any time a mole that's been there for a long time, changes, you need to have it biopsied. It's the only way to know what it is and why it's changing. We can all speculate on what it might or might not be, but a biopsy is the only way to get true confirmation.

Changing Mole

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Based on what your describing, I would recommend having a biopsy done to remove it and and checked microscopically.  It is a very minor procedure which if done well, can leave a very good cosmetic result. 

Black dot appearing on a raised mole

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Any time a mole is changing, it is best to be sure by having a biopsy done. A biopsy is an extremely simple five minute procedure for a dermatologist or plastic surgeon to remove the mole using either a "punch" or a "shave" biopsy technique which typically leaves a minimal scar. The mole can then be checked microscopically for reassurance. Please use the ABCDE's as your guide for when to be concerned about moles: A for Asymmetry; B for Irregular Borders; C for Black or uneven Colors; D for diameter greater than a pencil eraser; and E for a growth that is Evolving or changing. You can follow the video link below to learn more about identifying the changes in moles that are suspicious for skin cancer.

You might also like...

Mole removal

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

With any lesion that is changing and causing the symptoms that you describe, I would highly recommend that you have the lesion biopsied.  If the lesion is raised, then a shave biopsy can be done.  Please see a board certified dermatologist or plastic surgeon for an evaluation and possible procedure.

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.