How likely is someone with a thinner spot at the crown in their early 30's to become a NW6? (photos)

Since about the age of 25 I noticed a receding hairline at the corners and thinner spot at the crown which has got worse but not dramatically (no meds). The crown is approx 5-6cm in diameter and while not bald, under certain lighting in photos, it can look that way which i don't like. I am 32 now. My dad is NW6 and rapidly lost hair in his late 30's but from photos i think he had a bit less hair than I do at the same age. Am i likely to become NW5+? I've considered a small HT for the hairline.

There is no rule or guarantees on how you may lose hair. You can see a doctor for an educated prognosis or recommendation.

There is no rule or guarantees on how you may lose hair.  You can see a doctor for an educated prognosis or recommendation.

Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Balding patterns

Someone above the age of 30, with some early crown loss, usually doesn't end up as a Class 6 pattern of balding. Your biggest enemy is the progressive thinning leading to a balding pattern that is not evident at this point in time. The degree of thinning that you are experiencing would suggest that you should see a doctor who most likely will get Bulk Measurements of your hair to determine the degree of the thinning that you are presently having. If the diagnosis is early genetic hair loss (the most common cause of hair loss in young men), then the best treatment would be the drug finasteride which is highly effective in men of your age and may not only stop the hair loss but possibly reverse it. If you are developing a more advanced balding pattern the HAIRCHECK test will determine the Bulk Measurements of your hair and put a number on that hair loss (a metric) and this will show, over a one-year time frame, how effective the treatment will be. Once you know this information, then you and your doctor need to develop a MASTER PLAN which will define what you need to do over the years to come.

William Rassman, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Male pattern loss

It sounds like you will likely follow your father's experience. Hair transplants could be done now to reinforce and maintain coverage in the front.

Sheldon S. Kabaker, MD FACS
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon