Hairs lost per day - how is it counted?

I keep reading that the average person loses 100-150 hairs per day. How is this counted? Surely we would lose far more hairs throughout the day in the wind etc that we don't notice rather than just over the sink in the morning etc? I've noticed a lot of hair falling out ...strands on the table, on my computer keyboard etc and definitely when I rub my head but I used to have shorter hair so have no idea how normal this is. Is this a bad way to tell how fast MPB is progressing?

Hairs lost per day

It is true that the average person looses about 100 hairs a day.  Generally shedding hair does not reflect your active hair loss in male and female patterned baldness. If you think you are losing more hair and are heading toward MPB it would be best to make an appointment with a hair transplant specialist.  The doctor can do a microscopic evaluation and see if there is ongoing miniaturization or loss of hair follicles.

Beverly Hills Hair Restoration Surgeon

Normal Hair Loss per Day

You can reasonably expect to lose about 100 hairs per day from your scalp. Counting them is a dilemma. If you are able to count 20 hairs that means you are probably losing about 100 per day.

Brian Goertz, MD
Seattle Hair Restoration Surgeon

Knowing What's Normal with Hair Loss

I suggest you see an expert for a formal evaluation and assessment to determine possible hair loss. There are many different non-invasive options for treating hair loss including progesterone and PRP injections to the scalp. See an expert. Best, Dr. Emer.

Counting hairs

Counting hairs is not the thing to do, but rather get a HAIRCHECK measurement of your hair bulk and then you will know if you are losing hair with reasonably good accuracy 

William Rassman, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon