Wondering if I am a good candidate for rhinoplasty (closed surgery)? (Photos)

Would like to have small bump removed and tip slimmed down and slightly lifted. Interested in having surgery with Dr. Golden in Troy, Michigan. Nervous as I have never had any cosmetic surgery before, and don't want the tip of my nose to look too pointy or small for my face. Please let me know your thoughts!

Yes, as long as you are healthy you are probably an excellent candidate for a rhinoplasty.  Best of luck.

Hello and thank you for your question. Based on your photograph, you may benefit from a tip refining rhinoplasty. Your surgeon can accomplish this by trimming, suturing, and reshaping the cartilage in your lower nose. Cartilage grafts may also be used to help improve tip refinement. You may also benefit from a conservative dorsal hump reduction. 

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

Closed Rhinoplasty and chin implant procedures

The photographs demonstrate and only projecting nose, and under projecting chin. A closed rhinoplasty approach can accomplish refinement of the nasal tip, narrowing the bridge line, and shaving down the dorsal himp With all of the incisions placed on the inside of the nose. Consider a placement of a small chin implant to help facial balance and proportions, especially with respect to the overly projected nose from the side profile. For many before-and-after results of closed rhinoplasty/ chin implant placement, please see the link and the video below

Candidate for closed Rhinoplasty

virtually any nose can be operated with a closed or open Rhinoplasty technique.  Most of the time it is the preference of the surgeon.  In analyzing your nose, it appears that all you need is a little narrowing of the nasal tip and removal of the small hump on the bridge of your nose.  Both of these can be performed with the closed technique.  More importantly, you should discuss with your surgeon the possibility of performing a chin implant at the same time as that will vastly improve your profile appearance. You are an excellent candidate for chin augmentation.

Devinder S. Mangat, MD, FACS
Cincinnati Facial Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for posting your question. Some physicians prefer open rhinoplasty while others prefer closed rhinoplasty. For removal of a small bump on the nose bridge, however, closed rhinoplasty is the more common option. Be sure to discuss all your questions and specific goals with your physician before having the procedure. Best of luck.

Jan Zemplenyi, MD
Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon

I recommend that you schedule a consultation with Dr. Golden to have a nasal examination performed and a review of your medical history to see if you are a good candidate for rhinoplasty. From the photographs you have posted, I believe you may benefit from a hump reduction and tip rhinoplasty. The bump on your nose can be removed by cutting out the extra cartilage along with filing of the bone to smooth out the bump. A tip rhinoplasty includes trimming the lower lateral cartilages and placing precision sutures to refine the tip and make it look more pleasing. Best of luck in your endeavors.

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Board Certified ENT
Board Certified Plastic Surgery
Member of ASPS, ASAPS, ISAPS, The Rhinoplasty Society, AAFPRS, OTO/HNS, ASLMS, International Federation for Adipose Therapeutics & Science

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon

Wondering if I am a good candidate for rhinoplasty (closed surgery)?

You mentioned you have selected a surgeon.  Good communication with your surgeon is key in getting a good result.  I suggest you discuss this with him so you have a clear understanding of what is involved.

Robert E. Zaworski, MD