African American, 40 yrs old with 18 year old saline sub muscular breast implants. Time for Explant and Implant?

They still look good, but I am beginning to have little aches and pains in my breasts. Is it time for explant and implants? If so, is there anyone that specializes in this in or near MI? All answers appreciated, ty.

Implant exchange

It sounds like it's time for the implants to be exchanged.  You may consider having a mammogram or similar test prior to exchange to ensure there are no concerns since you are experiencing pain.  You can research board certified plastic surgeons in your area to locate surgeons that specialize in breast work, although it is a common procedure for many plastic surgeons.

Implant exchange

If the old implants are causing problems then it might be a good idea to exchange them. Best of luck.

Dr Kayser

Thank you for your question. Your saline implants are filled with salt water, so when they leak, you will know it as they deflate very quickly without any harm to your system, so there is no urgency to remove them. With regard to the discomfort, there may be thickened scar, called a capsular contracture, which may be improved upon with removal. If removal is selected, the newest silicone gels may be an excellent choice or fat transfer, which would be the most natural choice. I would suggest a visit with a breast surgeon and a mammogram for starters if you haven't had one although an MRI may also be warranted. I hope this helps and have a wonderful day! Dr Kayser Detroit

Melek Kayser, MD
Detroit Plastic Surgeon

18 year old saline implants

Recent onset of pain in your breasts may be a sign of capsular contracture. You would be best served by an examination by an an experienced breast surgeon who can best explain the options available to you. Good luck!

Marcel Daniels, MD
Long Beach Plastic Surgeon