Wanting breast augmentation best before or after children?

I am 26 & have considered having my boobs done since 18, I have put it off thinking I should wait until after I have children but I am getting impatient & can't see myself starting a family with my husband until another 1/2 yrs. Has anyone had breast augmentation before they had children & was it fine? I am a size 32a and would only want to go up to a c cup would it better for tear drop or round if I'm thinking about kids in a couple of years? Would love advice from some1 similar to me

Different People, Different Timing

This is an exceedingly common question — and one that really has no definitive answer. It's worth noting that breast augmentation is one of the most popular cosmetic procedures with younger women, and most are still satisfied with their results after having children later in life. However, it's impossible to say how your breasts will change with pregnancy and breastfeeding. Some women see a drastic difference in the size and shape of their breasts; others notice far fewer changes. The timing of your breast augmentation is completely up to you. If you're starting to get impatient, consult with a board-certified plastic surgeon near you to get a better sense of the results you can anticipate. 

Breast Augmentation pre/post pregnancy

I think that the best time for bilateral breast augmentation  (BBA) is when a number of clinical and personal psychological factors coalesce.  There is no truly correct time to have a BBA but in my practice I would not carry a “cosmetic” BBA (as apposed to BBA for asymmetry or deformity) in women who have not fully developed both physically and psychologically.  I do not think that a proposed pregnancy in one or two years time is a contra indication to having BBA.  The implants will not affect your pregnancy and there is no reason why you should not breast feed.  Pregnancy may affect the shape of your augmented breasts, but this is also true for breasts, which have not had any surgery.  I have carried out BBA on many women who have gone on to have perfectly normal pregnancies. The decision whether a round or a teardrop implant is used should be carefully discussed with your surgeon along with careful appraisal of the appropriate size and whether the implant should be placed under the muscle layer or directly under the breast.  All the possible benefits and complication (both long term and short term) must also be clearly explained to you. Only when you are clear on all this should you go ahead with surgery.

Breast augmentation, before or after children?

If you are considering having a child in the near future, then it is more advisable to wait until after pregnancy to have the breast augmentation. This is due to physical and chemical factors that could affect your body. Breast augmentation would result in pain and swelling with bruising as your body heals, hence if you breastfeed during the early process of healing then the pain might intensify. Hormonal imbalance during pregnancy could also cause alterations in your healing process. With regards to your implant, it is best to consult with your surgeon about what's best for you, as many factors are to be considered with this matter.

Charles Nduka, MD
London Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for the question. Timing of the breast augmentation is a very personal decision.  in general I advise patients if they are  planning on having  children in the near future (this is open to interpretation) to wait on the breast augmentation procedure. Doing it this way will  potentially minimize  the number of operations  that the patient will undergo.  

Some common changes seen with the breasts  after pregnancy include " involutional  hypoplasia" (breasts  become smaller)  and/or breast ptosis (" drooping"). The changes the breasts experience may be related to genetic factors, skin elasticity changes, hormonal effects, and/or weight gain/loss around the time of pregnancy. Best wishes.

Breast augmentation

Thank you for your question.In my opinion, if you are considering having children in the next year or two, I would wait. With pregnancy and/or breast feeding, your breasts can change and this can cause loss of volume in the breasts and/or sagging which would require you to have a revision surgery to get your breasts back to how they looked before you had children. Also, if you plan on breastfeeding there are risks involved when undergoing a breast augmentation that may alter your ability to. The risks are low but if this is something that is important to you then it is something to consider when making your decision. Best of luck in your endeavors.
Sincerely, James Fernau, MD, FACS
Board Certified ENT
Board Certified Plastic Surgery
Member of ASPS, ASAPS, ISAPS, The Rhinoplasty Society, AAFPRS, OTO/HNS, ASLMS, International Federation for Adipose Therapeutics & Science

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon

Implants before or after children

Whilst it would seem logical to wait until afterwards, in my experience, there is very little need to. Certainly, if you think that it may be a year or two, I would suggest you feel free to consider it now. If you are relatively small breasted (and it sounds like you are) and you are planning a natural-looking augmentation, your breasts will almost certainly survive the onslaught of pregnancy and breast-feeding well and you are unlikely to need corrective surgery afterwards. The best advice I can give is to seek a consultation with an experienced, reputable surgeon who can give you a full assessment, ideally with 3-D imaging. You will then be able to make a much more informed choice about your options. Best of luck.

I typically recommend that patient's delay having breast augmentation if they plan to have children in the next 1 or 2 years.  However if you are uncertain when he will have children then there is no reason not to have breast augmentation at the present time.  Be aware that women who have breast augmentation are more likely to need to supplement breast milk with formula after breast augmentation.

Breast Augmentation After Childbirth and Breastfeeding

A variety of factors may indicate that you are a good candidate for breast augmentation. Some of these feelings and/or conditions include: ·       You feel bothered and/or have low self-esteem that your breasts are too small. ·       After giving birth, your breasts have become smaller and have lost their firmness. ·       You notice that clothes that fit well around your hips are too big at the bust line. ·       You feel self-conscious when wearing a bathing suit or other form-fitting apparel. ·       A weight loss/fluctuation has changed the shape and size of your breasts. ·       There is an asymmetry where one of your breasts is noticeably smaller than the other.It is important to remember that pregnancy and breastfeeding can have an effect on the breasts, so it would likely be best to wait until after so that augmentation will hold better and longer. The best thing to do with your questions will be a consultation with a local board certified plastic surgeon and find the proper procedure and implants for your figure. Best of luck to you!

Breast Augmentation Before or After Children

Unfortunately, even with the input from others, the only one who can answer that question is you.  I typically recommend waiting until after children if you are having kids in 1-2 years, as pregnancy can significantly alter the breast size and shape, and may increase your chance of having revision surgery.  If you accept that increased chance of revision surgery in order to have that 1 or 2 extra years with breasts you're happier with, that's ok too.  Best of luck with your decision!

Dr. Dan Krochmal
MAE Plastic Surgery
Northbrook, IL

Daniel Krochmal, MD
Chicago General Surgeon

Breast augmentation prior to kids

This is really a question of when you would like to have kids. IF you are planning on waiting several more years before starting a family, then go ahead with your breast augmentation and enjoy the post-surgical result. IF you are thinking of having a family within the next year or two, then waiting would likely be a better choice. Undergoing breast augmentation and then becoming pregnant(and likely breast feeding) will change the volume of your breasts and then after your finished breast feeding things will deflate and look different again. If this "different" is something you no longer like and you already had your BA, then you will be back under the knife again sooner than you likely would want to be. Remember, your first breast augmentation/surgery will only be your first, it wont be your last. Becoming pregnant after having a breast augmentation will only shorten the amount of time between your first surgery and your next surgery(more likely than not). Lots of decisions to think about and make.Good luck